Need new tortoise advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAirWeGive

5 Year Member
So this is my tortoise that was recently taken out of a not so great situation. I am very new to this whole thing and don't know what kind of tortoise he is.
I also am not sure if he is healthy or if he needs some special kind of lovin.
His underneath looks wrong to me.
Photo49-1.jpg

And this is his top.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/justabarbiegirlinabarbieworld/Photo47.jpg

I posted these pictures on another forum and was already given the advice to feed him less, but I'm wondering if there is anythign else anybody has to add? Because like I said I am new to this, but I really want to take good care of him.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not real up on the Mediterranean tortoises, so I can't help you to I.D. him, however, I can say that yes, he is slightly deformed. Its not life threatening and with an improvement of his care and diet, he should live a long and happy life with you. You didn't say how much he was getting fed, so I can't agree on the "feed him less" theory until I know less than what. He doesn't look fat to me. What has happened to his shell is due to lack of sunshine and maybe being fed dog food??

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Looks to be a Northern Mediterranean Greek tortoise Testudo gracea ibera. Definitely displaying some fairly serious accelerated growth. But at this point it's just looks and should not effect the tortoises health overall. Looks like a female from but is tough to tell based on the accelerated growth. Could be a male with stub tail. If you look at clocoa (opening in the tail) a male that size should have a long narrow slit running most of the length of the tail. A female should have a smaller, often "puckered" looking opening.

I personally believe that accelerated growth is caused by a combination of incorrect diet, one that is usually much too rich in vitamins, possibly too much protein too; being kept consistently too warm and to some extent, lack of enough room for normal activity.

Feeding the tortoise a correct diet that is high in fiber, with calcium as a supplement regardless of quantity will do no further harm whatsoever. Feeding less is not the solution, feeding correctly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.