Need advice. New tortoise owner

Linzig77

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hi
I recently got a horsefield tortoise off an old lady who could no longer look after him. He's 2 years old and had spent his life in a really small enclosure where he had limited space. I just bought him a tortoise table with a very large space and a separate shelter bit on the end. He had a look around when I first put him in but then retreated to the sheltered bit and has spent the whole day there. The temp is correct in the enclosure ( 35-38) although his last enclosure only ever reached 26 degrees Celsius. Do you think it will just take him time to adjust to his new environment? When he's out of the enclosure he loves to move around the house but he doesn't seem to like his new enclosure.
Thanks

L

LasTortugasNinja

Torts love to roam, so the bigger the better. Mine has an indoor enclosure of .6 meters by 2 meters, and an even bigger outdoor enclosure. Typically takes two weeks to a month for a tort to get used to it's new surroundings and care takers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite often a tortoise that is actively running around the house is misinterpreted as enjoying himself, while in reality he's frantically looking for a safe hiding place.

Linzig77

Manchester
Torts love to roam, so the bigger the better. Mine has an indoor enclosure of .6 meters by 2 meters, and an even bigger outdoor enclosure. Typically takes two weeks to a month for a tort to get used to it's new surroundings and care takers.
Thank you. I was a bit worried. I just want him to be happy

Linzig77

Manchester
He seems to be settling in fine now. He comes out of the bedroom throughout the day and basks and explores a bit. He also comes up to me when I talk to him when he's in his enclosure.