I need advice...

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I need advice...

I'll admit it I'm not going to win the grand prize for the tortoise owner of the year but I do try my best.
I enjoy nothing more then watching my little dinosaur walk around outside and attacking his food. He's such an amazing creature and I've enjoyed watching him grow the last four years.
But I've come to a crossroads in my life and I'm not sure where to go from here.
I'm hoping some of you that share the same love for your tortoises can help guide me in the right direction.
Four years ago when I bought my tortoise I was graduating from college, starting my career and I did tons of research I was prepared for him and the life long journey with him. But four years ago, I figured I would have a house by now and the room for him to grow but here I am still living in a 1 bedroom apartment trying to get settled.
I've done great up to this point, dedicated entire patios to being dirt filled and tortoise friendly but now my options are running out. I'm having to move and my new place doesn't have a large patio. What do I do?

A four year old tortoise can't be in doors all day... But I can't imagine not having him in my life.

Please don't criticize me, I'm torn and confused and would love some advice.

Others must have been in a similar situation at some point in time...

Do I find a new more suitable home for my fast growing little guy or do I continue to adapt my home to provide the best that I can?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381851722.150441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That is a cute tort and you are in a tough situation....I would say if you realistically do not see yourself in a better tort friendly situation in the next year or two and you really want to free yourself up from the tort (and I say this because only you know if this is the case) then rehome him....however, if in the next year or two you are striving towards a better tort living situation and your heart is in it...then cut yourself a break and not be so hard on yourself...geeeezzzz, we all have moments of growth and sometimes you just have to go through them and if you are in it with your tort buddy for the long haul, then don't be discouraged, you just may need to be a bit creative in the interim, you know what I mean?

If I may? Why did you elect to move to a place that no longer had a patio knowing you have a sun loving roommate? (that was totally the Mother side of me being direct :D)

Mallykc

5 Year Member
In no way or shape do I want to "free myself" from my tort. It breaks my heart to think about it. I'm just trying to be fair to him. But I understand what you mean.

My current place is..well I'm not sure how to say it other than they keep screwing me over. So it's best to get out before it gets to bad.

The new place has a front porch but I learned today that they don't allow exotic animals and they don't allow you to put anything on the porch. Also the rules state they can take an animal that is not permitted without a warning. And that scares me.
My original plan was to build a locked enclosure for him on the front porch..but doesn't seem like I can do that now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
they can take an animal that is not permitted without a warning. And that scares me.

I find this pretty much illegal in the United States...they can however evict you and that would not be so great....so, do you have family that have a stable place he could live while you straighten things out?

Also, my questions are going to be direct here, you are grown and you asked for advice, right?

Mallykc

5 Year Member
All my family lives out of town.
And yes I'm grown and asked for advice.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Your family may live out of town, but would they be willing to house your tort for a while until you get your situation better for a tort to remain with you? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mallory:

I can't imagine my life without my tortoises...or at least one or two tortoises. If push came to shove and I had to cut back, I would still have at least one or two. It's going to be expensive for you, but people over in the UK do it all the time. Set him up in the house. He'll need a very big space and an expensive UVB light. Don't skimp. His health depends on it. If the big space you make for him is too big for one light, then get two. But you really only need one UVB light. The other light can be a regular incandescent bulb.

So my vote is for you to hang onto him until you can get your life situated and better suited to tortoise-keeping.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: I need advice...

ascott said:
they can take an animal that is not permitted without a warning. And that scares me.

I find this pretty much illegal in the United States...they can however evict you and that would not be so great.

This sounded sketchy to me too. I don't know where you live or what the renting situation is like, but around here, we have the companies who own a bunch of buildings...but we also have a lot of individuals and families who own complexes and homes. They usually advertise on craigslist, and are more flexible on a lot of things. It's all about communication up front though. Our building is managed by a family friend of my in-laws...and we're allowed pets in our "no pet" building (though just about everyone has one though, haha) and we pay our rent in halves on the 5th and 20th because we asked. We've looked at other places, and while some wouldn't budge on the no pets policy, a lot of times they would be ok or just add a $25-50 fee into our rent (one even said it was fine, but he wouldn't recarpet because of our cats...which we didn't really care about).

I completely understand that feeling you have. We recently gave up our dog of 3 years so he could have a yard to run in...and I get not being where you thought you'd be in life, too. The good news is, you sound like you're a loving and responsible pet owner. The way I see it, you have a few options.

1) See if family or a friend can house him while you look for a new place. Check craigslist, don't be afraid to ask questions.

2) Be sneaky. Ask your landlord. Tell him you are thinking about adopting a tortoise and were wondering if it qualified as an "exotic pet". Depending on what he says, ask if you could pay a small pet rent fee to keep him.

3) You have some time, so don't panic yet, but if in the next year or so neither of those pan out, then the responsible thing to do is rehome him. You could probably find a TFO member to take him so you know he'll get good care. :)

Whatever you decide, you sound like you've given him a wonderful life so far. <3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have options.

Move to a better place. There are all sorts of places for rent. Why pick one that isn't right for your tortoise?

When I was in your situation, I chose to give mine up to a good home. It was a bit different in that sulcatas were very valuable back then. I started with new babies when I got to a suitable place.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Any suggestions on how to make a big enough indoor space for him? I'm open to being creative. The new place is all carpet. I know there is the enclosure section on here, I'm sure there is info there...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can build a pretty nice box out of three sheets of plywood, starting with one full sheet for the bottom. You can ask the lumber place to cut the plywood for you. Another sheet for the two long sides, and the third sheet cut to fit the two end sides. Some 2x4's cut to fit will reinforce the corners. Put down a tarp on the floor first to save the carpeting from leakage.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Oh and a few have asked why move to this new place with no patio...
Where I currently live, it's a very expensive beach community and the new condo is owned by my boyfriends parents and I'm getting an amazing deal. They're great and understanding but it's the community management company that makes the rules.