Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
ripper7777777 said:
exoticsdr said:
Have been trying to stay away from this thread to not seem like a bad guy, BUT if she was to bring the tortoise to me, I would be obligated, by law, to confiscate the animal and call Texas Parks and Wildlife, whom would either instruct me on how to release the animal or instruct me to keep the animal until it could be placed with a licensed facility. It happens all the time, especially with raptors (federal law) and wildlife like skunks and raccoons (that also cannot be legally owned because of state rabies concerns). The law is the law, if you don't like it...please help to get it changed, but pretending not to know is beneath everyone on this forum. Doc

Nobody blames the vets, you have to follow the law, you really have no choice.

Terry Allan Hall said:
ripper7777777 said:
Well I think the op was probably scared off. It sounds like quite an issue, I would check with TWPD, your local vet and GCTT, but I wouldn't give them all your details. I agree with ascott on this one, if the animal has lived there for years and is healthy moving them won't help anything.

Personally I think restricting the pet trade and private owners never helps the situation, not allowing wild capture and habitat destruction are the best. But those already in captivity should be licensed and become captive breeders for the pet trade as a worst case scenario, I am one of those that believes captive pet species are better than total extinction.

and if it is confiscated it will just go to another captive home, it won't be released.

Sadly, most likely it'll be euthanized, as it cannot be released back into the wild (a good friend works for TP&W, and hates this aspect of her job)...this is Texas we're talking about, not a civilized country. :(

Yea I assumed that, but don't know the exact policy in this case, so didn't want to say it, but it is down right stupid how some of the laws protecting animals gets enforced.

Agreed... :(

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
ascott said:
Ignorance, or feigned ignorance, is not an excuse.

You should do the right thing, and then buy a tortoise that you can enjoy without worrying about it being confiscated.

Jaizei, So it is better to displace a tortoise that has been fine for years-- you would suggest an already abandoned tortoise be ripped from where it has lived and turn it over to the authorities...Okay, if you say so?????

Very contrary to what you expressed here, huh? I feel a re-run coming on here....I will not be participating any further in this thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Who-Keeps-These-People-In-Check#axzz1mKHgwFxh

I do wish Dee and Luvmygreenson tortoise the best with whatever you all decide to do :D

Also, there are great folks here on this forum that will offer up their awesome opinions and advice along with the ones that already have....
Since you are finished here, I guess this will be a monologue. Unless that incessant urge you have overcomes your self control.

I actually see no contradiction. The other thread was concerning the FDA, whose objective is public safety/health and the removal of contraband turtles from the marketplace, whose regulations clearly call for the destruction of seized animals (possible exceptions noted). This thread is concerning TPWD, whose objective (in this case) would be protection of a threatened species. I am not aware of anywhere in their regulations, or in the TAC, that call for the destruction of a healthy animal taken by them. I am only familiar with a single instance of a tortoise being euthanized after being turned over to them, and that was only because it was seriously injured and probably would not have lived. 'Pet' tortoises handed over to them are placed with an organization holding a science/education/zoo permit or with a wildlife rehab. Wild animals living in unsuitable areas (urban/suburban) can be relocated.

The OP wants to keep it as a pet. If it is a Texas Tortoise, then it is not legal to keep this tortoise as a pet. Sorry, this fact has nothing to do with me and whether I think it is ok or not.

It may be healthy now, but what about later? What to do if it becomes sick or injured 5 years down the road? Kinda hard to take your illegal tortoise to the vet.

Well when I took my tort to the vet today he confirmed he was a Texas tort... I asked him about permits and he shrugged it off with a "look." He gave me the medications needed and sent me on my way. It is the law to have a permit, but personally I love my little guy with every fiber in my body. I am doing everything I can to get him better even shelling out the bank breaking vet bill. I don't see why I should call TPWD just to have them rip him from my life. I also have met a few other Texas Tort owners that do not have permits and have not had any run ins with TPWD. I may get in trouble down the line, but Guido is a part of my family now and I will fight to keep him in my family until God decides it's our time to part. Now I am not saying that I will not look into acquiring a permit, but for the time being I have a vet who seems to not be concerned with permits, but rather helping me get my "greenson" healthy. Besides I am a Biology major and he is making me want to pursue him as a future career! Maybe one day I'll start up my own rescue. :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
LuvmyGreenSon said:
jaizei said:
ascott said:
Ignorance, or feigned ignorance, is not an excuse.

You should do the right thing, and then buy a tortoise that you can enjoy without worrying about it being confiscated.

Jaizei, So it is better to displace a tortoise that has been fine for years-- you would suggest an already abandoned tortoise be ripped from where it has lived and turn it over to the authorities...Okay, if you say so?????

Very contrary to what you expressed here, huh? I feel a re-run coming on here....I will not be participating any further in this thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Who-Keeps-These-People-In-Check#axzz1mKHgwFxh

I do wish Dee and Luvmygreenson tortoise the best with whatever you all decide to do :D

Also, there are great folks here on this forum that will offer up their awesome opinions and advice along with the ones that already have....
Since you are finished here, I guess this will be a monologue. Unless that incessant urge you have overcomes your self control.

I actually see no contradiction. The other thread was concerning the FDA, whose objective is public safety/health and the removal of contraband turtles from the marketplace, whose regulations clearly call for the destruction of seized animals (possible exceptions noted). This thread is concerning TPWD, whose objective (in this case) would be protection of a threatened species. I am not aware of anywhere in their regulations, or in the TAC, that call for the destruction of a healthy animal taken by them. I am only familiar with a single instance of a tortoise being euthanized after being turned over to them, and that was only because it was seriously injured and probably would not have lived. 'Pet' tortoises handed over to them are placed with an organization holding a science/education/zoo permit or with a wildlife rehab. Wild animals living in unsuitable areas (urban/suburban) can be relocated.

The OP wants to keep it as a pet. If it is a Texas Tortoise, then it is not legal to keep this tortoise as a pet. Sorry, this fact has nothing to do with me and whether I think it is ok or not.

It may be healthy now, but what about later? What to do if it becomes sick or injured 5 years down the road? Kinda hard to take your illegal tortoise to the vet.

Well when I took my tort to the vet today he confirmed he was a Texas tort... I asked him about permits and he shrugged it off with a "look." He gave me the medications needed and sent me on my way. It is the law to have a permit, but personally I love my little guy with every fiber in my body. I am doing everything I can to get him better even shelling out the bank breaking vet bill. I don't see why I should call TPWD just to have them rip him from my life. I also have met a few other Texas Tort owners that do not have permits and have not had any run ins with TPWD. I may get in trouble down the line, but Guido is a part of my family now and I will fight to keep him in my family until God decides it's our time to part. Now I am not saying that I will not look into acquiring a permit, but for the time being I have a vet who seems to not be concerned with permits, but rather helping me get my "greenson" healthy. Besides I am a Biology major and he is making me want to pursue him as a future career! Maybe one day I'll start up my own rescue. :p

Better safe than sorry, so get that permit ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.