NEED IDEAS ON POND COVERS, PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I have a 300 gallon rubbermaid, above ground pond. I am looking for ideas and pictures which could help me creat a cover that keeps the turtle from escaping and predators out.
Will try to attach a picture of the pond.
Any odeas are appreciated!

Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What kind of predators?

Are those 4x4 posts at each corner?
What about using black wire fencing (larger gauge, easy to see through)?
Add cross pieces at appropriate heights. One could be placed at the rim for a sight block so the turtles can't see out.
If the posts are snug up against the pond, then you will only need wire to the rim. If not, then wire should extend to the ground.
You could make frames for 2-3 sides, on hinges, which you could flip up and hook in place for maintenance.

If you are mainly worried about night predators, then a couple of electric wires on the outside of the posts just below and 12-18" above the rim, set on a timer to come on at night.
If you are mainly worried about larger birds, then bird netting on a frame, over the top and partway down the sides.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thank you for your response!

My main worries are Racoons and Hawks. Your advice sounds good and is appreciated!
:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great idea already posted. If you didn't want to do that. You could make a wood frame the shape of the pond, attach the same type of fencing and lay over pond. Doing it in two sections would let you weave the plants through the fence and not have to be lifted again. The other section would be able to be lifted when needed, but wouldn't disturb the plants.

Nice looking pond btw

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thanks for the great idea, Barb! Sounds good and easier than one large cover. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.