Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I have a Turtle Pond outside. I'm trying to figure out how i can heat it this winter. I live in Florida so its not like it is going to freeze. But i do need to keep the water at around 70*. I have looked up Pond Heaters and the only thing i find doesn't actually heat the water, it just keeps it from freezing. I was thinking maybe just get a couple aquarium heaters and lay a board across it to hang them from..?? Any ideas? I have six turtles in the pond. I cannot bring them in because they are quite large. I have 1 Painted Turtle which i can bring in because he is smaller. I also have 1 Map and 4 Red Ears. Any ideas on what i can do to keep them warm? Of course i will put some heat lamps shining onto it at night as well. Thanks!:tort:
View attachment 30563

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Aquarium heaters may work but idk how cold it's going to get you say not freezing, does that mean 50-60 degrees colder hotter? They do make out if tank heaters were the water gets pumped into the heater the water gets heated and pumped back into the tank, usually in a filter. Idk if they make them for ponds but I bet they do for koi ponds.

Res I know will do fine I water drop they will slow down but as long as there is a basking area where they can warm up they should be good. Idk about the others

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
The coldest it gets usually is maybe 30* but not all night or day. Just at the cold peak. None of them have spent a winter outside and i havent had them to long. They were all rescues. I looked up koi pond heaters and it still just brings up the de icers. But still they dont heat the water.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
lori12386 said:
DeLand. About 20 mins from Daytona. You?

I am in the same area, pretty much exactly. Is it above or underground?

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Are you really? Wow. The pond is deeper in the middle and shallow on the three corners. The middle is like 2ft deep.

Gerards said:
lori12386 said:
DeLand. About 20 mins from Daytona. You?

I am in the same area, pretty much exactly. Is it above or underground?

[/b]

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
They should do fine in that, you can just bring them in on the colder nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.