Need help for sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think I understand what you are asking.

Males will mount females and other males as a demonstration of dominance. It is not always done for reproduction and fertilization. This is part of your overcrowding problem. Don't worry about this too much. When the females want to be bred, they will let the males in.

I think our climates are similar and over here, my females start laying eggs in late December or early January. They keep laying about every six weeks until it starts to get hot in May or June. This varies with different climates though. There is no "breeding season" the males mount them all year long. You will get more breeding, more eggs and more fertility if you keep them all warmer at night in winter.

I found another neat trick (Thanks to Neal) to increase hatch rates. Leave your eggs in the ground where they are laid and covered up until late May or early June. Then dig them up and put them in the incubators. Cover the areas where the females lay with a wire cage of some sort. No shade or cover, just wire on a sturdy frame to keep other females from digging up that area to lay their own eggs.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I am just a people who crazy for torts and I breed sulcata over eight yrs, but just a couple number, those big sulcata came to our farm just six months , this is my first time to have such a lot of torts , so we build a farm for them hope they have happy life. They came from wild ,
Ok Clive..
I think you will get the help you need here now. Do as @Tom suggests and you will be ok hopefully. Do you have any more photos you can show us.
I'm amazed at what you are doing and trying to achieve.
So am I right in saying you take in unwanted tortoise too.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Clive

You said you have already bred a few over the last 8 years. Do you have any photos of the tortoises you have bred yourself.

clive168

Hi Clive

You said you have already bred a few over the last 8 years. Do you have any photos of the tortoises you have bred yourself.
This one call yellow we dred he when he is 10cm for 7 yrs to 45cm , but suddenly his back legs disable without any traumatism ,
We take him to the surgeon but the doctor can't found the happened , X Ray tell nothing wound at his bones, anyone who can help?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422872215.115122.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
About 130000 usd
Well Clive. I now think I know your love for tortoises. Am I right in saying this is a hobby for you.
Love what you have got and the land you have. Still think you need some professional help from the experts on this forum for some basic rules of husbandry. For example mixing breeds, your not using your land to the best of its capability, need more hides and objects to entertain your tortoises. Most tortoise species require different conditions and diets, do you give the yellow foots and protein in the form of meat. I'm a novice and I can see some things are wrong. You have dogs running around near your tortoises. Have they ever attacked any tortoises. Aldabras and Sulcata especially are grazing animals that need grass land to graze on. Yellowfoots need high humidity and cover in form of trees and plants. These are just some of my observations, people on this site will help you aslong as you take there advice seriously.
Keep the pictures coming. They are eye openers for me. I love them.

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:

clive168

Well Clive. I now think I know your love for tortoises. Am I right in saying this is a hobby for you.
Love what you have got and the land you have. Still think you need some professional help from the experts on this forum for some basic rules of husbandry. For example mixing breeds, your not using your land to the best of its capability, need more hides and objects to entertain your tortoises. Most tortoise species require different conditions and diets, do you give the yellow foots and protein in the form of meat. I'm a novice and I can see some things are wrong. You have dogs running around near your tortoises. Have they ever attacked any tortoises. Aldabras and Sulcata especially are grazing animals that need grass land to graze on. Yellowfoots need high humidity and cover in form of trees and plants. These are just some of my observations, people on this site will help you aslong as you take there advice seriously.
Keep the pictures coming. They are eye openers for me. I love them.

Thanks

Craig
This farm just build for 6 months and there are in winter so we cant plant grass at this moment , it will be better at sprint for greenary

Otherwise the dogs will never attack the torts 。

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a beautiful piece of property. You are so lucky to have all that space.

When you took "Yellow" to the vet did they do an X-ray? Sometimes if the tortoise has bladder stones it presses on the nerves and renders the back legs sort of paralyzed.

Last edited:

clive168

What a beautiful piece of property. You are so lucky to have all that space.

When you took "Yellow" to the vet did they do an X-ray? Sometimes if the tortoise has bladder stones it presses on the nerves and renders the back legs sort of paralyzed.

Already did X ray and nothing happened,so I don't know what should I do for him,