SULCATA BREEDING HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
Ok so I've heard alot of people tell me that I should not let my Sulcata breed but I love them and I want them too I know theres alot of unwanted Sulcatas out there but I love mine and I want them to breed so can someone help me out here? Ok I saw my two sulcata mate last week for a while they were mating, and I dont know what to do the male (Tank) is about 5 years old as well as the female (Lucy). I know I should be watching out for burrows as she will lay her eggs but my dirt is hard will she be able to dig it up? And how do I incubate the eggs what are the steps? I f anyone can help I would appreciate it thanks. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0387 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0387 (Medium).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 93

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How large are your Sulcatas?

Danny

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Lucy is about 15 inches from bottom of shell to top tip of shell and Tank is 20 inches, the man i bought them from said they are like 5 years old, but not to certain, thanks

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are older than 5 years old :p. If your ground is hard, than your going to have to dig a patch up and mix it with peat to keep it from compacting. Make sure you do this in a sunny spot. She will be looking for a spot to lay in about 3 weeks.

Danny

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
ok i added pics u can see them, and how do i incubate them? what kind of incubator do i buy and what are the steps?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you considered what you are going to do with the babies? Her first clutches won't be very big, maybe only 8 or 10 eggs in each, but maybe two or three clutches per year. You might be able to find buyers for your babies for a while, but after several clutches, your area will be saturated and they will be hard to sell.

I use the Lil'Giant bird brooder, but Hovabator is almost exactly the same. You want an incubator that does NOT turn the eggs. Buy your incubator, then if she lays eggs, one of us will help you with it.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

So are you going to keep the babies and raise them? Or are you just going to add to the homeless Sulcata population? Why don't you just smash the eggs after she lays them. If you do it within the first 24 hours they are not baby tortoises yet and I believe that is the responsible thing to do.
I know people are going to come down on me for saying that but before you do go spend some time at a rescue and see the abused, mistreated and deformed Sulcata that are there. I spent some years volunteering at Yvonnes rescue and I was stunned at the condition most Sulcata are in when they are turned in to her. And the number of them is just overwhelming. She works very hard to find homes for all of them and to treat the abused ones. It's really very sad.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No. I agree with Maggie. I don't think you should hatch more than one clutch.

Sulcata are becoming "throw away" pets. They are treated as cheap thrills, because you can get them so cheaply, and so cute and little. As soon as they become a hassle, they are dumped on whoever wants to take them. Its a similar thing to what Iguanas went, and are still going through.

I think if you loved your Sulcata, you would be doing the opposite. How can you guarantee that all of those babies will go to good homes, and be loved the rest of their lives? Like Yvonne said, soon your area will be saturated, and then who will take them? How much can it cost to feed 20, 30, growing tortoises? How much room will they need?

Its not like other species, that have a clutch of two eggs. Sullys have lots of babies.

I guess I don't understand wanting to breed them at all. I love my cat, but do I want her to have a litter of kittens that I can't keep? No. I know what will happen to most of them, and it isn't pretty.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Loving your pets is great but that is NOT a reason to breed and have babies. If anything. its a reason NOT to breed.
Spend some time volunteering at a rescue, just like if you had cats and allowed them to breed and breed.. go spend time at a animal shelter and say good bye to 90% of the animals in most of them. They DO NOT get adopted.
Just because you are seeing mating behavior does not mean it is happening.. My two males were doing that today.. I know I wont have any eggs!
Love what you have, dont add to the problem and maybe even rescue a few more!
WElcome to the forum.. Please stay.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
tHank yall for yall help but im from texas and where im from not much people have sulcatas and lots of people really understand what tbey are and to care fpr them since
i lectured them about sulcatas and never will i smash the eggs im sorry but if god produces them ill raise them and/or give to good homes. I wont give them to anyone just to people that understand what these tortoise are about

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
God isn't producing them. You are. All you have to do is seperate your tortoises and that will be the end of it. If I have two unfixed cats in one room, and they have kittens, is that God's work? Or mine?

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Sorry, but God doesn't make everyone the same. There are people that will get one just cos their cheap and "OMG!!!! Sooooo tiny &cute." There will be someone that wont be blessed to handle them.
Like what was said two other times...your area will be saturated will sulcatas after the first clutch...what will you do with the other 1 or 2 other clutches...?

imo. I say leave it to the experienced.

-Typo-(Blessed)

Able***

i Dont mean to be so negative but I just hope you realize what you'll be getting into. Either way, good luck!:-D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If its up to God, then DO NOT intervene and incubate. Leave the eggs where she lays them, and if it was meant to be, they will hatch. That is nature.
There are people here with years of expereince in rescue and breeding..
I would leave the breeding to the experienced, and enjoy what you have. Become a rescue. Im sure there are enough in Texas. Just start looking...
and again Welcome. Please stay. we all learn from one another.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Ok i understand what all of you are saying but its my first time at this breeding so im kind of excited but after the 1st few clutches i prolly will seperate them but for now i just need help with someone to please give me the steps to incubate them im goin to buy an incubator later 2day. Sorry if i sounded rude i just need yalls help and everyones telling me to smash the eggs sorry but i wont do that. Thats why im here to get yalls help thank yall again.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
murdocjunior,

Seems as though your heart is in the right place. You want to do right by the Sulcatas. It is however in my humble opinion, that it is selfish to allow them to breed just because you want the experience. I know it is exciting and all, but why don't you incubate some Guinea fowl, or rare breed of chicken. You can then eat their eggs, yum.

The house you built the Sulcatas is really cute by the way.

Just my 2 cents...

Sudhira

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree with the general opinion here. I do not think it is correct to do what you did or still be doing. You seem like a very nice person with a big heart, and I am sure that you love your sulcatas a lot but it is not correct to make your sulcatas breed. I have one Hermann, and I am sure he would love to have a lady friend, but I would not find the buyers for the babies so Hermy is alone but he is still very happy about it :). I afree with Maggie that you should smash the eggs, or if you do not want to, just do not put them in an incubator (as Laura said) Just know that what you are doing is not responsible.
Welcome to the forum and please, just because we do not agree with you does not mean we want you to leave the forum. I am sure you are going to be a very good member and I can't wait to see more pictures of your 2 sulcatas :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay folks I think we have given her enough lectures on not breeding her sulcatas, lets move on. Anybody with further information to help her answer her questions please do.

BTW welcome! From what I can see, your two torts look very nice.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
murdocjunior said:
Thank you but all my life ive been called turtleman because i love turtles and tortoises

Oooppss, :D , I guess I forgot to check your gender and just typed in "her". I stand corrected. So folks please let's keep future answers to him talking about how to incubate future eggs, not on if he should or not.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Thank you and dont worry about mistake of my gender no big deal, but exactly ive heard enough i just need help with these eggs when its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.