Need enclosure ideas for Las Vegas please

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Welcome to Vegas! Some plants we use a lot of are all the sage types (green Texas sage, and the many like it), many clump grasses, deer grass, yellow iris grass, and if you have some space, pampas grass gets big and makes nice cover. There's a cute little one called "Hot Lips Sage" that I like as well as chaparral sage (both at Star Nursery, I'm not sure of their scientific names). We use a lot of globe mallow which grows naturally around town at about 3,000' elevation up to 5,000' or so, or you can buy it at Star Nursery occasionally. Mulberry is a great food source but isn't legal to sell/plant in Clark County any more. There's trees all over town if you know what to look for, or you can run over to Pahrump and buy it (different county). They are massive trees eventually, so I wouldn't plant one unless you had space for it to go wild. Spineless prickly pear works well here, sometimes dies off in the winter depending where you live. We are in the far Northwest and it gets a little hotter in the summer and colder in the winter up here, but if it's planted on the South side of a North property block wall, it helps regulate temperature a lot (cold is the biggest problem for it).

Tiffany Montoya

Welcome to Vegas! Some plants we use a lot of are all the sage types (green Texas sage, and the many like it), many clump grasses, deer grass, yellow iris grass, and if you have some space, pampas grass gets big and makes nice cover. There's a cute little one called "Hot Lips Sage" that I like as well as chaparral sage (both at Star Nursery, I'm not sure of their scientific names). We use a lot of globe mallow which grows naturally around town at about 3,000' elevation up to 5,000' or so, or you can buy it at Star Nursery occasionally. Mulberry is a great food source but isn't legal to sell/plant in Clark County any more. There's trees all over town if you know what to look for, or you can run over to Pahrump and buy it (different county). They are massive trees eventually, so I wouldn't plant one unless you had space for it to go wild. Spineless prickly pear works well here, sometimes dies off in the winter depending where you live. We are in the far Northwest and it gets a little hotter in the summer and colder in the winter up here, but if it's planted on the South side of a North property block wall, it helps regulate temperature a lot (cold is the biggest problem for it).
Awesome thanks for the advice Im asking myself why I moved here its hot and lots of rocks lol. We are north las vegas for now. I ordered a prickly pear plant and some seed mix for tortioses from the carolina pet store. I wasnt sure if there was any nurseries in town that didnt treat with chemicals. Ive been to the moon valley nursery its pretty cool my daughter loves it. Any tips on that place?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Moon Valley (if I remember right) was a lot more expensive than Star for the smaller plants, so I mostly go to Star (on W. Cheyenne, but there's also one on Ann Rd, maybe closer to you). When I get new plants, I just rinse the crap out of the top of the plant, branches and leaves, and then scrape away the top of the root ball and replace it with better soil when you actually drop it in the ground. I've never had a problem from any chemicals, although I'm sure to play it safe you could let some time pass before you drop tortoises in there with it. Cactus I didn't feed newly purchased or acquired pads off because they can have a "scale" problem here where bugs get into them and make a nasty white junk accumulate on the pads, and they sometimes feed a bug poison to the plant that kills the bugs from the inside that are burrowed into the pads, but I haven't bought pads in years and years, and haven't seen scale on my own in many years also, so it's long gone at this point. For what it's worth, I've heard that Star no longer uses pesticides because of the honey bee population/decline (I'm a beekeeper also, so I follow these things), but I have never asked them if that was the case.

Tiffany Montoya

W Cheyenne is close to me so I will check it out. Thanks for all the advice. I just want my King Koopa to be happy and safe in his new yard. Right now it is so ugly and a ton of gravel. No grass is so new to me cause I lived in California before and had a beautiful lawn. If u have any pics of ur setup that maybe I can get some ideas from that would be great. Thanks