Need a replacement bulb

tortoisekev

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I was recommended the MegaRay 100W bulb (pictured) by my local breeder (not pet shop) which is great when it works, but I had to get them to replace it after the first few months when the filament broke... which has now happened again after another few months. (I will be contacting them again as it was an expensive bulb, which they may replace for free again, but probably not this time)

IMG_3025.jpg

I am using a temporary heat only bulb for now (as of this morning).

IMG_3025.jpg

So, suggestions for a replacement UVB/Heat bulb?

IMG_3025.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mercury Vapour Bulbs don't last long. Even if they don't blow completely, the UVB output fails very quickly and you cannot tell without a meter. Unless you test them with a UV meter, we recommend you replace them at least every 9 months.

It is far cheaper to use a fluorescent UVB tube lamp and a separate plain 100W reflector bulb for basking. You can buy household 100W reflector spots on Amazon or eBay very cheaply.

tortoisekev

UK
Mercury Vapour Bulbs don't last long. Even if they don't blow completely, the UVB output fails very quickly and you cannot tell without a meter. Unless you test them with a UV meter, we recommend you replace them at least every 9 months.

It is far cheaper to use a fluorescent UVB tube lamp and a separate plain 100W reflector bulb for basking. You can buy household 100W reflector spots on Amazon or eBay very cheaply.
I've only had Kevin since September 2018 and this is the second bulb in that time that's now broken (so nowhere near the 9 months unfortunately).

I assume the 100W Reflector Spot is for the heat - are household bulbs really fine for this? Would an Exoterra or Reptile Systems or something bulb be better?

Recommendations for the UVB tube lamp? Wouldn't know where to start!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've only had Kevin since September 2018 and this is the second bulb in that time that's now broken (so nowhere near the 9 months unfortunately).

I assume the 100W Reflector Spot is for the heat - are household bulbs really fine for this? Would an Exoterra or Reptile Systems or something bulb be better?

Recommendations for the UVB tube lamp? Wouldn't know where to start!
The household reflector spot is for basking heat only and you would need a separate UVB bulb. I have used household reflectors for years.

tortoisekev

UK
The household reflector spot is for basking heat only and you would need a separate UVB bulb. I have used household reflectors for years.
Sorry, yes I understand that - I will look for alternatives to separate out the heat and UVB bulbs, using household bulbs for the heat (and I guess you're response negates my concerns that the household bulbs wouldn't cope with the heat requirements!)

Also I'd guess there's nothing wrong with the current bulb I'm using then, show in the 2nd picture?

Do you have any recommendations for the UVB tube bulb though? There are many options from many brands and I want to make sure I get the best option, or close to it.

and thank you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
ExoTerra or ZooMed 10.0 tubes will do the job for you. You will probably find the light fitting itself is cheaper from B&Q (that's where I got mine). The fluorescent tube will have to come a pet supplier/Amazon.

Don't get the compact screw thread UVB bulbs that look like low energy light bulbs. These cause eye problems in tortoises.

tortoisekev

UK
ExoTerra or ZooMed 10.0 tubes will do the job for you. You will probably find the light fitting itself is cheaper from B&Q (that's where I got mine). The fluorescent tube will have to come a pet supplier/Amazon.

Don't get the compact screw thread UVB bulbs that look like low energy light bulbs. These cause eye problems in tortoises.
Thanks, I won't.

I've earmarked these for now - but will search for cheaper/B&Q etc equivalents if they have them as he weekend.

https://www.reptilecentre.com/arcadia--t5-reptile-controller-2439w_p22366969.htm

https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-med-t5ho-reptisun-100-86cm-39w_p23383216.htm

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, I won't.

I've earmarked these for now - but will search for cheaper/B&Q etc equivalents if they have them as he weekend.

https://www.reptilecentre.com/arcadia--t5-reptile-controller-2439w_p22366969.htm

https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-med-t5ho-reptisun-100-86cm-39w_p23383216.htm
Those items will work great for UV and light. Then you just need a basking bulb. Don't use "spot" bulbs. Use "flood" bulbs. Spots concentrate too much carapace desiccating IR-A into too small an area. This dries out the carapace and causes pyramiding. Floods do it too, but not as bad. I prefer to use 65 watt flood bulbs and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You may need more or less depending on your ambient temps.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes or LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.