Bulb question

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all,
My MVB bulb that is only 2 months old (Arcadia mini D3 80w) was off today when I got home and poor Lola was warm enough but in the dark. I can't get to the shop I bought it from until the weekend but only have an ordinary 100w daylight spot bulb to use instead. The box says it gives 90% power as IRA heat rays and moderate UVA rays - but no UVB. So will she be ok without UVB rays for a few days?
Many thanks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Tortoises only need a few hours of UVB to 'survive' in a week, but more is always better :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. She will be just fine with any regular incandescent bulb for heat. I would not use a spot bulb however as they tend to concentrate too much heat in one small spot. Check you temperature under this bulb and adjust the fixture height if needed. A flood or standard bulb might serve you better until you get your Arcadia bulb sorted.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Many thanks Yellow Turtle and Tom, hoping to get to shop tomorrow afternoon now so hopefully back to normal then.

For any future emergencies when you say standard/regular incandescent bulb, Tom, do you mean the ones you would use in house light fittings?
If so how many watts would you recommend? Also we can only buy halogen, LED or energy saving bulbs in UK now so will it make any difference which sort?
Best wishes
Lyn