help..please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Well, boy do i feel stupid. I have TRN rescue redfoot Ruben. Ii was reading about all the things to feed him. I came across where they needed protien in their diet and i read hard boiled eggs, i thought...great, ill give him some he likes variety and is a good eater...well........last night i had him out roaming the house, streatching his little legs... and omg..puddles of diarrhea..i felt so bad. I soaked him for 30 min. And put him to bed. Today he went straight for the water. I soaked him again for 30 min. In fear of dehydration. I offered him his usual foods today. He ate a couple bites..but he still has diarrhea.. what should I do?? Oh, i forgot to mention, my house smelled of rotten eggs...

Attachments

• 2012-12-12_09.40.27.jpg
    2012-12-12_09.40.27.jpg
    794 KB · Views: 95

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Keep him off the floor and in the enclosure. Set the temperature in his enclosure a little higher than usual. Water available for drinking and give the diarrhea issue time to clear out of his system. More fiber to eat like mazuri pellets.
It could take awhile to clear up (days to a week), you just don't want any secondary problems from stress and dehydration to develop.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I try to tell people all the time no boiled eggs :(. This is why.

Slightly higher temps may help, and I would soak twice daily. Papaya is right with the more fiber.

All in all, keep him hydrated and warm and he'll be fine.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thank you guys...i gave him mazuri. He gobbled it up. He is in his warm enclosure..Redfootsrule....what protiens do you suggest. And what kind of diet do you feed. Ruben is aprox. 7 yrs.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Mazuri for tortoises have some protein also Some keepers offer safe insects as a supplemental food source (wax worms, meal worms, super worms or earthworms) Also some cooked lentil beans mixed in the greens, lentil is high vegetable protein, pinto and mung too. Sunflower seeds out the shell, cooked peas, Alfalfa hay all have protein.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Eggs are a funny thing....the redfoot torts here love em and their gut can handle them...not a prob....but others don't respond the same (perhaps as some other critters are, some can handle and some can not)...also, I usually will split a couple eggs up between the four of them (did you offer the entire egg in one sitting?:rolleyes:)

The redfoot torts here lose their minds over any food I sprinkle bug seasoning on...I will get some of the freeze dried crickets, shrimp and mealworms designed and sold for turtles, I will take a bit of the buggies and squish em between my fingers until they somewhat powder and will season their food and once the food is presented to them...no matter what they are doing---they come a booking....so perhaps you can offer some buggie seasoning to a variety of foods to mix it up a bit...?

Warm water soaks and warm enclosure will ease your tort right on through....I also will offer a "small" amount of clean white baked chicken to the redfoot torts and they will gobble that up as well...just what I do :D

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thank you guys for the great advise...i really appreciate it. I picked up some freeze dried shrimp , put him in his enclosure with the CHE on. Fed him some mazuri and we will see how he is doing in the morning...thanks again...oh..and no more boiled eggs for Ruben!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Protien can be a lot of things. Wax worms, slugs, snails, earthworms, cooked chicken. I would lean more to the insectivorous-type protein over cooked chicken, but I do commonly use boiled chicken for my red foots (hard to provide enough insects for 6 adult torts). At 7 years, assuming he had proper growth, you could give him some adult mice. You can buy them frozen from rodentpro and other sites. Or you can buy them live and kill them off before you feed them. Very good protein, with all the bones/organs still intact.

And before anyone lectures me on the evils of killing mice for my tortoises....I love animals more then any of you can imagine. I've kept mice and rats as pets. Yet I've also fed them for snakes....Everything has a place in this world, and unfortunately thats where rats and mice fall into sometimes. No use in quarreling about it.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That reminds me of when I gave my bearded dragons some onion. The next day I thought I had a gas leak in the house and was getting ready to call the oil company. After running around checking out the gas lines, I figured out it was their poop. :(

arotester

5 Year Member
in diarrhea you must feed food that is high in fiber like hay and grass and you can also try alfalfa.This fiber helps in making the poop more solid ,try and give it more natural food than packed. :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I feed a diet of 2/3rds weeds(supplemented by the odd bit of salad and veg) and 1/3 fruit(like berries and mango). Every two weeks I give protein. Mushrooms are also very good for protein.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
What type of berries and ive seen where mushrooms can be offered daily is this ok? Is there any other fruits that i can offer? And what kind of veggies?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
mainey34 said:
What type of berries and ive seen where mushrooms can be offered daily is this ok? Is there any other fruits that i can offer? And what kind of veggies?

My red foot isn't too crazy about berries. Good fruits to offer are pineapple, cactus prickly pear, kiwi, pear and mango. She also really loves grated carrot, zucchini, turnip, squash. And mushrooms, those can be given everyday. I've never tried the boiled egg, and I don't think I will! Lol Chicken is always a hit but nothing gets her running at full speed like pinky mice, I swear I could get her to do cartwheels for them :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.