My tort not eating with calcium

seymorebutts

Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, LA
I got my baby sulcata about a month ago and he's roughly 3 months. i bought 2 different types of calcium powders for him when i got him. ill put some grass and other salad greens in his little food ramp and then sprinkle like the powder on top of it. he doesnt seem to eat the greens with the powder on it and tries to work his way around it. when i dont put any calcium on it he eats all of it. how important is the calcium and how much is needed. also any suggestions on getting him to eat it?

Mobileturtle500

Orlando fl
Well a lot of times tortoises don't like the calcium so they avoid it however if you shred the greens and put just a little pinch in and then spray with water it hides it well. You don't need to give it to your tortoise every day. But about twice a week will be fine. Too much calcium can be bad so don't put too much

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You tort needs a tiny pinch of calcium sprinkled as sparsely as possibleon food no more than three times a week.

No more. You can overdo it.

It must be very little and very sparse or your tort will detect it and refuse to eat it.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I got my baby sulcata about a month ago and he's roughly 3 months. i bought 2 different types of calcium powders for him when i got him. ill put some grass and other salad greens in his little food ramp and then sprinkle like the powder on top of it. he doesnt seem to eat the greens with the powder on it and tries to work his way around it. when i dont put any calcium on it he eats all of it. how important is the calcium and how much is needed. also any suggestions on getting him to eat it?
Does he have a favorite food? Mine did not like it as well. I found that if I sprinkle it very lightly over diced cactus, or mix a tiny pinch with mazuri he will eat it. Those are his two favorites.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
my babies eat it on the mazuri diet, just a small amount. good luck.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Just another thought, do you have any cuttlebone in there with your tortoise? They only cost a couple bucks and you can get them at almost any pet store. Mine seems to enjoy chewing on his a couple times a week, and they contain a lot of beneficial calcium in them.

seymorebutts

Mandeville, LA
Just another thought, do you have any cuttlebone in there with your tortoise? They only cost a couple bucks and you can get them at almost any pet store. Mine seems to enjoy chewing on his a couple times a week, and they contain a lot of beneficial calcium in them.
im not sure what that is, isnt it like a fish cuttlebone they can chew on?

Bee62

Germany
Hi, as it is alreasy said torts need not much calcium. I never forced my little sulcatas to eat calcium but I gave them crushed cuttlebone pieces and they eat them sometimes like sweets.
Tortoises know well if they need calcium or not. Let them decide how much and when to eat.
You can also feed cooked and chrushed egg shells for calcium supply.
Try this:

images

images

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

It’s the bone from a creature that looks a bit like a squid called a cuttlefish. They’re sea creatures, but not actually fish.

You will find them in the bird aisle of your pet store. They’re very cheap. Just get the plain white one. Some stores sell colored (dyed) ones; do not use those.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Try misting the calcium really good once you sprinkle it on and over time your tort will get used to it!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
A word of caution please. I put cuttlebone in with my 2 four inch plus Hingebacks a few years back and they ate it like crazy but the smaller one broke off the end of his mandible and cracked it further back. I was REALLY worried about his future and tried to avoid any hard foods since then. Slowly it has grown back but now needs to be filed on one side as it grows outside his upper beak on one side. Needless to say I won't use it with small tortoises again.

Bee62

Germany
A word of caution please. I put cuttlebone in with my 2 four inch plus Hingebacks a few years back and they ate it like crazy but the smaller one broke off the end of his mandible and cracked it further back. I was REALLY worried about his future and tried to avoid any hard foods since then. Slowly it has grown back but now needs to be filed on one side as it grows outside his upper beak on one side. Needless to say I won't use it with small tortoises again.
For small / young torts I use crushed cuttlebone pieces that they can swallow.