Wont eat calcium!

JoshGoldberg

I have 2 forms of calcium in lilzillas tank. One cuttle fish bone and one cactus/calcium mix. She wont eat either and if i sprinkle calcium powder on her food she wont eat that either

JoshGoldberg

Not uncommon. You must use VERY little or mix it with wetted MAZURI.
I use something called REPASHY. It is brown in color and my tortoises don't seem to mind the taste.
Would zooland grassland tortoise mix work instead of mazuri? I can get it in bulk for a very low price

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I have 2 forms of calcium in lilzillas tank. One cuttle fish bone and one cactus/calcium mix. She wont eat either and if i sprinkle calcium powder on her food she wont eat that either
We have had cuttlebone in Odin's tank since before I found this forum (over a year) and the first time I saw him take a nibble was on the drive home from my folks lake house a few weeks ago, and he went to TOWN on it! It seems to be normal to ignore it for long periods and then eat the heck out of it.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Mine won't voluntarily eat grassland food, well Mort will, but he eats everything, none of my others will. I put calcium in mazuri. Use a very small amount n mix it in well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would zooland grassland tortoise mix work instead of mazuri? I can get it in bulk for a very low price

Most tortoise won't eat that stuff plain. I have to mix it with Mazuri to get mine to eat it.

You should only be using a tiny pinch of calcium powder mixed in with a large pile of greens. They shouldn't even notice it. If you do this and they don't eat it, let it sit all day. Chuck it at night and put a pile of the exact same stuff out tomorrow. Keep doing this until the little picky bugger gets hungry and eats it.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Most tortoise won't eat that stuff plain. I have to mix it with Mazuri to get mine to eat it.

You should only be using a tiny pinch of calcium powder mixed in with a large pile of greens. They shouldn't even notice it. If you do this and they don't eat it, let it sit all day. Chuck it at night and put a pile of the exact same stuff out tomorrow. Keep doing this until the little picky bugger gets hungry and eats it.
I have this very problem as well and was thinking about getting something called 'liquid calcium' and you basically put it in their bath water so they drink it as opposed to eating it. How ironic lol I was going to post the question to see if this is a good alternative so would be interesting to see what others thoughts are :)

JoshGoldberg

I have this very problem as well and was thinking about getting something called 'liquid calcium' and you basically put it in their bath water so they drink it as opposed to eating it. How ironic lol I was going to post the question to see if this is a good alternative so would be interesting to see what others thoughts are :)
Id love that! However she doesnt drink or pee. I havent seen her drink or pee in about a week :/ its really annoying and when she poops she sneezes :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I put the powder on the food and give it a slight spritz so it's not as visible. My sulcata now eats the bird cuttlebone like a chip. It took a few years though

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Maybe something like grape leaves, or cactus supposed to be naturally high in calcium would be preferred ?