My russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley and rosie

5 Year Member
Hey guys just a quick question Iv got a Russian she's just under a year I'm just wondering how active she should be? She's always curled up in a corner of her table asleep she comes out for maybe half an hour a day to look for food then straight back in and sleeps is this normal?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
What is your setup for the baby?
Baby tortoises are food for almost everything. They instinctively know this. A survival advantage for them is to hide. On the other hand, it could be trying to avoid something uncomfortable. Too hot, too dry…

ashley and rosie

5 Year Member
Iv got her on a table in my living room, with a 5uvb light and temp set at 85 but we are having a bit of a delayed spring time and outside temps are lower than usual so I'm wondering if maybe I should try her in a viv I have?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm not a fan of tortoise tables. Though I have great respect for the UK group that has pioneered research to help us care for Russian tortoises, I just think they've missed the mark here. Large, open top enclosures are too hard to maintain environmentally. He may also be hiding just from too much external stimulation. Activity in the room.
This is a catch 22 situation. He hides because he's scared. And in hiding he doesn't learn that there is nothing to fear. Do you take him out and interact with him?

ashley and rosie

5 Year Member
There is such conflict on the subject, the breeder we got her off said not to use a table but both the local pet shops who are suppose to be reptile experts have said dont use the viv go with the table, I'm gonna put her back in the viv today and see how she goes, yeah she's always out we are always handling her and it actually got to the point where my girlfriend would tickle her head and she pops her full neck right out so she can tickle it all she seemed to really like it but lately when we get her out she is just docile hence me been a little worried

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Do you weigh her regularly? I know babies hide a lot... but you want to make sure she is also gaining weight. Do you soak her, to make sure she is staying hydrated?

I am a big fan of using a tort table (with taller walls, so the tortoise isn't so exposed) once they are adult, but I think a vivarium can work well for a baby, as you can control humidity and temperature a bit more than if they are in an all-open set-up like a table.

ashley and rosie said:
There is such conflict on the subject, the breeder we got her off said not to use a table but both the local pet shops who are suppose to be reptile experts have said dont use the viv go with the table, I'm gonna put her back in the viv today and see how she goes, yeah she's always out we are always handling her and it actually got to the point where my girlfriend would tickle her head and she pops her full neck right out so she can tickle it all she seemed to really like it but lately when we get her out she is just docile hence me been a little worried

Status
Not open for further replies.