My RF loves to bury itself, is that bad?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
My RF likes to stay buried between the hide and the basking light. She'll eat, get a drink and soak, then she will bask for 5 mins and bury herself again. She is about 2 yrs old. She stays buried most of the time, is that a problem?

Tnewton

5 Year Member
No, redfoots are shy. My buddy has several adults and they stay hidden most of the day, comimg out every once in awhile to eat/drink then back to the hide. Im no redfoot expert but from what I see its common

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
The reason I am asking is because I had another RF that would partially bury itself under the basking light all day after it did the same routine. Unfortunately I had to rehome that one because it was having territorial issues.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
The reason I am asking is because I had another RF that would partially bury itself under the basking light all day after it did the same routine. Unfortunately I had to rehome that one because it was having territorial issues.

Well as far as I know redfoots dont need a basking spot and theh dont prefer hot temps. I would say ambient temp of about mid 80's and your good to go

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
So I don't need a basking light? I thought they needed that to help them digest their food. I use one because I can't take them outside, I live in an apartment complex.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
So I don't need a basking light? I thought they needed that to help them digest their food. I use one because I can't take them outside, I live in an apartment complex.

Well you can have a basking spot for them, id say about 90 or so. Their are lots of breeders who say you dont need a basking spot and some say you do. My buddy just uses a ceramic heat emitter and just a regular light bulb. The sun issue deals with uvb which is also debateable between keepers.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I have the basking light and a uvb light. My vet told me to use that since they stay inside. My basking light stays at 95 degrees. Cool side is about 75 - 80 degrees.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
I have the basking light and a uvb light. My vet told me to use that since they stay inside. My basking stays at 95 degrees. Cool side is about 75 - 80 degrees.

Well everyone has their own opinions on how to do things. I have seen great redfoots raised without basking/uvb bulbs and vice versa. Make sure your keeping the humidity up in the cage as well

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
I'm trying to, the basking light seems to suck up the moisture.

Do you have him in a tank? You can spray it down several times a day as well as him. Also you could use a undertank heater and add water right to the substrate depending on what your using

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
yes, I do. I spray it at least 3 times a day. I use cypress mulch.

Cool, sounds like you have it down then. I would double check your temps though to make sure their not to hot.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:

You do have a nice looking red. What kind of uvb bulb are you using? There is some debate about certain bulbs causing blindness in animals but I have been researching this lots and looks like the prob with those bulbs is fixed

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Its a regular uvb bulb for now. My russian uses a Desert 50 UVB bulb. I am going to buy a Tropical UVB light for my RF on the 15th of this month.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
Its a regular uvb bulb for now. My russian uses a Desert 50 UVB bulb. I am going to buy a Tropical UVB light for my RF on the 15th of this month.

Cool, id go with a reptisun 5.0 tube fluorescent, or you could go with the reptisun 5.0 compact fluorescent depending in what fixture you use.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I would, but those are usually sold out at PetSmart. I have been getting the ReptiGlo lights.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:
I would, but those are usually sold out at PetSmart. I have been getting the ReptiGlo lights.

Yeah, what about ordering one? Exo terra is descent, like I said from what im reading all the issues with uvb bulbs have been resolved. I think they have 5.0 bulbs as well

Status
Not open for further replies.