New RF Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

~NP~

5 Year Member
Hi i am new to the forum and first time tortoise owner.
I have a few questions on my setup that i am confused about after reading post after post on the forum. the tort seems to be healthy it ate the first day, shell looks smooth no deformity. it is very alert when it roams around for the 30 minutes when it eats then goes into hiding again. i know its normal for hatchlings to hide. i don't want it to start pyramiding so i did a lot of research with humidity and stuff but i am still worried my about my setup.

My setup:
have mini dual dome combo 100w each socket
100w mvb
100w nighttime bulb
coco coir bedding with cypress mulch on top with sphagnum moss all around.
terracotta plant saucer as water dish
2 slate tiles one for feeding and one for basking
i have a closed top to keep heat and humidity inside
humidity stays around 70s to high 80s
basking spot stays around 95
ambient temp stays at low 80s
i have a humid hide on non basking side
i mist the enclosure daily

my concerns are:
moving humid hide closer to basking spot.
taking out the mvb and nighttime bulb for something else maybe che i kinda wanna keep the nighttime bulb so i can see it move around ( i work 2nd shift) at night.
i just bought the tort on Sunday July 7. it is not moving much i moved it out of hiding to eat and a soak. should i do that or should i let it be? i know it is still getting used to the new environment.

i know some people say some rf likes to bask and some don't. and also that they don't need a basking spot.

i will take pictures if people need to see the setup.

please help i want the best for my first tort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No research is going to give you the same answers, because there is no ONE way to tortoise-keeping. You have to learn what the tortoise needs to grow healthy and happy, and then provide that however you can. What I do for my tortoises here in Central California with my dry weather, might not be what you have to do to provide the same thing for your tortoises wherever you live. So read, read, read and apply what you've read to your geographical area. A good place to start is the Tortoise Library

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would say get a (CHE) CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER for night time heat. Maybe try bumping your humidity up. See if that helps.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Pictures always help.

Multiple hides give your tort a choice on temperature. Can you leave a hide on the nonbasking side, and place another on the warmer side? My RF baby has four hides to choose from, although she usually likes to just half bury herself somewhere.

People here would typically suggest replacing the night bulb with a CHE. But I can understand wanting to see your baby if that's your only opportunity. Is there another way this can be done? Like maybe a dim light in the room rather than lighting up his whole enclosure? He needs a "nighttime".

You definitely need a source if UVB, which you have with the MVB so don't replace that one with a CHE (alphabet soup).

Do you have a safe place to take your tort outside for a bit, weather and temperatures permitting? Safe would be no pesticides, no fertilizers, access to shade and water in some sort of enclosure. I've yet to figure it all out, but my girl is definitely more active in her outdoor enclosure than her indoor one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

I just saw that you just got it on Sunday. Yes, it'll need time to adjust and start to feel safe. Its great that its eating, at least it feels that safe!

I brought mine out from day one to soak and give breakfast to teach her routine, but she's not very shy at all. If she had seemed stressed out (hiding in her shell and not coming out), I probably would have just misted her in the cage and left her alone to explore and eat when she was ready. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in, here.

~NP~

5 Year Member
Beck said:
Pictures always help.

Multiple hides give your tort a choice on temperature. Can you leave a hide on the nonbasking side, and place another on the warmer side? My RF baby has four hides to choose from, although she usually likes to just half bury herself somewhere.

People here would typically suggest replacing the night bulb with a CHE. But I can understand wanting to see your baby if that's your only opportunity. Is there another way this can be done? Like maybe a dim light in the room rather than lighting up his whole enclosure? He needs a "nighttime".

You definitely need a source if UVB, which you have with the MVB so don't replace that one with a CHE (alphabet soup).

Do you have a safe place to take your tort outside for a bit, weather and temperatures permitting? Safe would be no pesticides, no fertilizers, access to shade and water in some sort of enclosure. I've yet to figure it all out, but my girl is definitely more active in her outdoor enclosure than her indoor one.

I just saw that you just got it on Sunday. Yes, it'll need time to adjust and start to feel safe. Its great that its eating, at least it feels that safe!

I brought mine out from day one to soak and give breakfast to teach her routine, but she's not very shy at all. If she had seemed stressed out (hiding in her shell and not coming out), I probably would have just misted her in the cage and left her alone to explore and eat when she was ready. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in, here.

My setup is good for my area I think. My big concern was the lights mostly. I do have a outside pen for it but I still afraid of stressing it out since I just got it a couple of days ago I guess I'll get a Che with a thermostat and just use a flashlight to view him when I'm home.

~NP~

5 Year Member
new 017.JPGnew 018.JPGnew 019.JPGnew 020.JPGnew 021.JPG
So i got some good news that i am excited about! It started roaming around and explored it finally found the sphagnum moss hide on the basking side that i gave it! I decided not to soak it today but i did mist it and the enclosure to bring up humidity and it pooped on spot so i am happy about that.
I am in the process of thinking about a closed chamber for it a 4' x 2'.
but just wanted to show my setup and see if people could chime in on any changes people think i could make to make it feel more secure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Good to hear!

Mine likes to hide and explore in fake leaves. Some people have trouble with torts eating them, but others don't. I think my RF feels more secure when there's leaves, moss, or a hide overhead. Keeps her safe from "predators".

A closed chamber will be great. I'd suggest bigger than 4' by 2'. You'll get more time out of it. :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Heya and congrats on your new baby! The one thing that I noticed (that only pics could show) is how bright it looks in there. If your little guy keeps hiding too much, maybe try less light. I think redfoots like dimmer environments. Good luck and have fun with him :D

~NP~

5 Year Member
Yea the lights were my biggest concern. I guess I will have to go with a Che, a UVB tube and a basking light. Thanks for the input:)

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: New RF Owner

pfara said:
Heya and congrats on your new baby! The one thing that I noticed (that only pics could show) is how bright it looks in there. If your little guy keeps hiding too much, maybe try less light. I think redfoots like dimmer environments. Good luck and have fun with him :D

That's a good point! Mine avoids bright light as well.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
~NP~ said:
Yea the lights were my biggest concern. I guess I will have to go with a Che, a UVB tube and a basking light. Thanks for the input:)

In a small setup like that, I'd leave out the basking light if you can maintain the right ambient and basking temps with the CHE alone. The tube should take care of light and uvb requirements. I think two light sources would be overkill and defeat the low light issue, especially in that tank. I'm not sure, though. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell ya.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: New RF Owner

pfara said:
~NP~ said:

In a small setup like that, I'd leave out the basking light if you can maintain the right ambient and basking temps with the CHE alone. The tube should take care of light and uvb requirements. I think two light sources would be overkill and defeat the low light issue, especially in that tank. I'm not sure, though. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell ya.

I agree, but don't have all that much experience either. I have a uvb tube and CHE and it works well, though.

~NP~

5 Year Member
Beck said:
pfara said:
~NP~ said:

I agree, but don't have all that much experience either. I have a uvb tube and CHE and it works well, though.

thanks for the input ill have to do just that. thanks!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would replace the hiding something that isn't going to let light in

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

~NP~

5 Year Member
new1 001.JPGnew1 002.JPGnew1 003.JPGnew1 004.JPGnew1 005.JPG

The new setup! I changed the lighting, i have now a che and a regular housebulb. i have been following turtletary's caresheet. i dont have uvb at the moment because he gets sun light for about an hour every other day when the weather permits. with the new changes he has been more active. humidy stays at around85 to 90 even sometime high 90s. temp stays around 85 and cooler side high 70's. overall i think the changes have been great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Yay! Glad he seems to like it. I do!

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Hmmm, good point. Do you have a thermometer monitoring the cool side? What exactly is high 70's?

Oh I see in the pic its 78F. Do you keep a temp gradient Mainey? What do you like your cool side at?

dwright27

5 Year Member
I like it! I'm wondering where to put a tile or rock in my tank.. I worry about the stone getting too hot and burning his little tootsies! Your little guy looks nice and comfy. I got one of those weather station things too but the humidity readings seem to be rather.. off. I put it in the tank right after I sprayed, and about an hour later it said the humidity was only at like 35%. And that's in the wet end! Mine is a different brand from yours, how are you finding yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.