my new girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Here's my short story.... I got a new Russian female! YAY!

Here's my long story.... several years ago when I first got into tortoises, I ended up acquiring (through a few different places), seven large females, the smallest of which was 6 inches.

Due to some housing issues (my house, that is), I ended up rehoming them. I've kicked myself ever since! Looking around, I don't know where I would have the room to house seven females, but why on earth didn't I at least keep one or two?!? Hindsight can torture!

A couple of weeks ago, I was in a local petstore and saw a good sized female Russian. When I asked to look her over, both myself and the guy at the store agreed that she wasn't looking to good. Her eye was obviously bothering her, and she was quite lethargic. So he took her back into their sick bay, and I left without her. My NOT-AN-expert opinion is that her eye was bothering her due to being in such a dry cage, and it looked like she had dust in her eye, and she was lethargic because she was crammed into a cage with THREE MALES! That'd be enough to wear any girl out!

Anyways, I stopped back at the store a couple of times and they hadn't moved her back to the sales floor yet... until today. There she was, crammed in the same cage with the same three males, but her eyes were bright, and she was full of energy! So needless to say, I brought her home. Couldn't resist, especially since I so regret rehoming my first females!

She's just a hair under 6.5 inches right now. I haven't decided on a name yet... either Minerva, or Freya, I think... As I was getting things ready in the house for her, I set up a pen in the yard for her. When I went out to check on her, she was contently sitting in the sun eating dandelions!

20130912_124152_resized_zps7d74bfba.jpg

20130912_130541_resized_zps0f90097a.jpg

20130912_130511_resized_zpsa5407530.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You've almost got one of each species. Keep going! Collect them all! :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Gorgeous new growth, I wonder where the pet store got her from, since their variety is usually the '2-minutes-since-imported' kind, and your female has obviously been in good care for a while. Congrats on the new tort!

I think her beak might benefit from being trimmed (or filed) down a little. It's getting long-ish. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing that, give it time and tough-to-bite weeds, and it may wear itself down. :)

I bet she'll be a big-un in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.