My girl/boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise Natasha has a little tail but she has been bobbing her head and biting my other female tortoise. And just the other day I saw her mounting my female and her mouth was open and she was squeaking. I want to say that Natasha is a boy but she has a tiny tail about half an inch long so I'm still not sure. She is 7" long and a medium thickness. She isn't huge looking like a normal female and she isn't as small as a normal boy. I don't know how to post a picture from my phone but any help about whether she is indeed a he would be wonderful

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Russians can be very aggressive especially in the spring time. They are best housed alone or in groups with one male and several females in a large outdoor enclosure.

Your russian and your sulcata should not ever have contact. This is a recipe for disaster.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
I never said she was with my sulcata. I'm fostering a female Russian who had been in a bad home where the owners were breeding her but not taking care of her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry. My mistake. You said your "other female tortoise" and I only saw one in your signature...

In that case, 7" is pretty big for a male, but not impossible. Females will often bite and try to dominate each other as well, especially if its just the two of them.

I don't know how to post pics from a phone, but tinypic.com is really easy to use from a computer.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
It's ok. I don't have her in my bio and I didn't name her because I'm not keeping her. I'm just fostering until she gets well enough to get a forever home. But what was bothering me is that she was trying to have sex. I saw videos online and she was doing the same things they were but she looks like a girl physically. She was on my girl and had her mouth open making those squeaking noises. So either she's a super confused female or a male that looks like a girl

Found out how to post pictures.

image-3080727487.png

image-1971338027.png

image-1694815035.png

image-25744011.png

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
lindsay44 said:
It's ok. I don't have her in my bio and I didn't name her because I'm not keeping her. I'm just fostering until she gets well enough to get a forever home. But what was bothering me is that she was trying to have sex. I saw videos online and she was doing the same things they were but she looks like a girl physically. She was on my girl and had her mouth open making those squeaking noises. So either she's a super confused female or a male that looks like a girl

Found out how to post pictures.

View attachment 19167

View attachment 19166

View attachment 19165

View attachment 19164

;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen female Russians do this, especially in the absence of a dominant male.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians, male or female, can be very aggressive and neither makes a good companion for another tortoise. If you have one that you are trying to nurse back to full health, I suggest you separate them as this dominance display by the other female is likely to lead to blood being drawn :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
she is not confused or gay... she is displaying her dominance. nothing to do with Sex. per sey..
you need to get another enclosure. How long are you keeping the other one? its not fair to it to be bullied and beat up like that. it can make them sick.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Animals can be gay too. There's been reported cases of gay lions, chimps, dogs, giraffes, horses, and dolphins, to name a few. My dad used to have a male dog who would hump only other male dogs. Don't think it applies to reptiles, though!
As for your tort, she's probably just establishing dominance. If she was gay that would be pretty rare, since I don't think it's been seen in reptiles. Either way, you've got a girl who might need to be separated if she bites too much!

lindsay44

5 Year Member
Ok. That's good to know. I know theres a confused boy puppy up the road. He won't stop trying to hump my male golden named buddy. He ignores all the female labradoodles that are running around and goes straight to my boy. But buddy is a sweet dog and never snaps at him. He just avoids the puppy.
I just didn't want to have baby torts so I was checking with you guys who have more experience sexing torts.

Isn't my girl pretty. I finally got a few pictures that show her pretty yellow color. She even has a bit of green in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.