New tortoise won't eat or poo.

ankaba04

I got a spur thighed tortoise a week ago, he is around a year old.
The first few days he ate everything I have him; a mix of rocket, watercress, cucumber and carrots but the last few days he hasn't touched anything except for one leaf of rocket and half a grape that I gave him just to try and get him to eat something!
He has also only done two poos in a week, one whilst soaking and the other was mixed with his urates (I think it was a poo)
How can I get him to eat and poo? I've tried soaking him to encourage a poo but he doesn't seem to like the water. Please help! ImageUploadedByTortForum1389378292.250452.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389378315.850064.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ankaba04

mtdavis254817 said:
He may just be in his settling stage. What are your temps

78.8 under his basking spot and around 75.2 everywhere else. I know this is probably a little under the recommended temperature, we are getting him a new tortoise table, light and heat source mid February.

MyTortoise

This happened to me aswell when I first got my tortoise, it took a little while but now she's really confident! I'm sure he's just settling in, but if this does carry on for quite a bit longer, maybe take him to the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your baby isn't warm enough. Look at it this way: Your personal temperature is 98.6F degrees. When your body is that temperature, you are feeling fine, you're eating and you're digesting your food (pooping). So why shouldn't your little baby tortoise be able to get his inner core temp up to almost 100F degrees, just like you? The difference between the 75.2 in your habitat and 98.6 in your body is a radical difference when it comes to babies. Get him warmer, or you're going to have a pretty sick little baby on your hands.

ankaba04

How warm should he be then? I was told that 75.2 was the correct temperature. I've read that 80's is best but at what temperature exactly should he be?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
there are a couple temps that you need to have correct: right under the basking light should be 100° f gradually dropping to 85°f in the middle then 75°f on the opposite end. the night time temp should never go below 75°f. a very wise investment, if you don't already have one, is to buy a temperature gun. it's the easiest and most accurate way to check your temps http://m.ebay.com/itm/310796396351?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

once you get your baby all situated in the new enclosure and he's nice and warm he will become his self again :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
75 F is the minimum, under that, your baby will soon have running nose, you may see him blow bubble from his nose.

You should have a hot zone and a cool zone within your enclosure. What I have under the heating lamp or CHE's is around 95F~100F. The rest of the enclosure I kept at around 80~85F. I also kept the humidity around 70~80%.

ankaba04

I can turn the Thermostat up and have also just ordered a higher wattage bulb that will hopefully be better than what he currently has.
We are working with the heat light and tank that he came with at the moment, he will be getting a permanent change of heat, light as well as a tortoise table on the 15th of February.
Thanks for your help.

ankaba04

I have turned up the thermostat and his enclosure now seems toasty and warm. Today he has spent most of the day flat out under his heat lamp, he's hardly moved at all. Should I be worried or is he just enjoying the warmth after being chilly for so long?
Right now he's tucked into the corner nearest his light with his head and front legs squashed up inside his body.
He took a few bites of lettuce earlier but I was still worrying so I soaked him in a mixture of warm water and puréed carrots meant for babies.
When should I see an improvement? He seems very lethargic. I just want to do what's best for him. ImageUploadedByTortForum1389474519.482022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
ankaba04 said:
I have turned up the thermostat and his enclosure now seems toasty and warm. Today he has spent most of the day flat out under his heat lamp, he's hardly moved at all. Should I be worried or is he just enjoying the warmth after being chilly for so long?
Right now he's tucked into the corner nearest his light with his head and front legs squashed up inside his body.
He took a few bites of lettuce earlier but I was still worrying so I soaked him in a mixture of warm water and puréed carrots meant for babies.
When should I see an improvement? He seems very lethargic. I just want to do what's best for him.
I don't know much about this species of tortoise, but I do know that if he is spending all day under the heat light then he is too cold. If the basking spot is the right temp he will warm up and move off the spot for a while before he comes back.

You won't see improvement until he can warm up properly. In fact he probably will get worse. With tortoises the temperatures are really important. Until they can get warm enough and have the ability to thermoregulate they won't do much. Once they can do that, they will move about and explore and eat and poop. You gotta get the temps right or they will not thrive.