My hooked up ZooMed Tort House

Status
Not open for further replies.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, florida
I finally am able to post pictures of what I did with my ZooMed Tort house. I replaced one wood wall with plex glass so I can see my babies. Was easy to do. & cheap. My little baby used to be bored & flip him self all the time. (In protest) But once I added 3 plants & a log and a big ol pool he has been much happier. Clearly Donnie likes decor.
Everyone on this site has been very helpful on helping me setup this happy place for them.
Thanks guys.
-Nikole

Attachments

• image-76334130.png
    image-76334130.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 226
  • image-1516336518.png
    image-1516336518.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
  • image-2324566081.png
    image-2324566081.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
  • image-409555176.png
    image-409555176.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • image-327682796.png
    image-327682796.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • image-2181412581.png
    image-2181412581.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • image-4285745248.png
    image-4285745248.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 141

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Not to rain on your parade, but multiple species in the same enclosure is not good.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
Yeah the redfoot is just visiting. He has his own condo.
The redfoot Raulf is best friends with the baby Donnie. No lie!
They are always together & when Donnie gets upside down or stuck Raulf rescues him. So I keep them together alot.
When Donnie's alone he paces and flips him self.
It's interesting to watch.

Livingstone said:
Not to rain on your parade, but multiple species in the same enclosure is not good.

But your right! & I know.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
nice adaptations. i had to develop my zoo med box too so that it would be better suited for a high humidity environment. one plexi wall is a good idea.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
you definitely made that thing look way better than it does stock. good job on the upgrades.

soon when your sullies out grow this you gotta keep it around and maybe turn it into a home for a small russian or boxie who can enjoy the house for a lot longer ;)

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
moderndoubt said:
I finally am able to post pictures of what I did with my ZooMed Tort house. I replaced one wood wall with plex glass so I can see my babies. Was easy to do. & cheap. My little baby used to be bored & flip him self all the time. (In protest) But once I added 3 plants & a log and a big ol pool he has been much happier. Clearly Donnie likes decor.
Everyone on this site has been very helpful on helping me setup this happy place for them.
Thanks guys.
-Nikole

How exactly did you replace it with plexi glass? I have the same enclosure and would love to do that.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
Well it's very easy!!!!

The wood panel is glued together. So you wanna first pull off one of the 1foot ends. (the left or right, not the top or bottem) Just be careful when you do it so you dont splinter the wood. Once you got it off stretch the two 3foot sides open alittle bit and the thin wood panel will easy slide out. Then take the thin wood panel to Home Depot and for 10$ they will cut a plex glass the same size & thickness. Come home and side it back it. You can wood glue the one 1foot end back on. Or you can staple gun the corner back together. It's that easy. I'm a small chick & I did it myself. The whole project took 30mins. Cuz I had to drive to Home Depot.
You will be much happier with the ZooMed cage after the adjustment. You can see your little buddy's at all times.
If you have more questions I'm happy to help.
Post pictures of the new home if you do it
-Nikole. ;)

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
moderndoubt said:
Well it's very easy!!!!

The wood panel is glued together. So you wanna first pull off one of the 1foot ends. (the left or right, not the top or bottem) Just be careful when you do it so you dont splinter the wood. Once you got it off stretch the two 3foot sides open alittle bit and the thin wood panel will easy slide out. Then take the thin wood panel to Home Depot and for 10$ they will cut a plex glass the same size & thickness. Come home and side it back it. You can wood glue the one 1foot end back on. Or you can staple gun the corner back together. It's that easy. I'm a small chick & I did it myself. The whole project took 30mins. Cuz I had to drive to Home Depot.
You will be much happier with the ZooMed cage after the adjustment. You can see your little buddy's at all times.
If you have more questions I'm happy to help.
Post pictures of the new home if you do it
-Nikole. ;)

Wow that sounds so easy. I just have to slide the peices out and take it to home depot so they can cut the right size. How much did this cost you?

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Visually - It looks very nice, although from a animal care perspective, I'd say to take the fake plants out. Sulcatas get big real fast, and could get bored in an enclosure like that - fake plants can only do more harm than good. My Sulcata would chomp on that plastic, guaranteed.

Tortoises basically feel the same way about interior decoration as dogs do about fashion (wearing clothes). I think they would appreciate more floor space.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
Yeah they didn't try and eat the plants. I watch them for hours and they don't wanna eat it. If I took that plant out of there you wouldn't believe how pissed off Raulf & Donnie would get.
Once I added those plants Donnie stopped pacing back n forth is his condo. As for Raulf that's his Chilll spot from 4pm- 9pm.
He walks around then lays on the left side of the plant. It covers his head while letting the light warm his butt. He's got it down to a science. When I had real plants in there they tore it apart. They would eat it but also dig it up. Since using the fake plants have had better results.
Every two weeks I rearrange the condo and make it different so they don't get bored. They seem to enjoy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.