Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas BABY!
I have heard lots of great things about Mazuri tortoise food, so whats so great about it? I am considering buying it but before I do I would like to make sure I am making the correct choice. I am feeding them this pellet type stuff thats just grassland tortoise food, but I don't think they really like it. They wil both be a year old in June. It sounds dumb, but I thought it was an acomplishment because they finished their first full bag of spring mix! They are growing, but I still really need a fog machine or something because they are starting to pyramid. Molly has been in the log hide a lot laely more than usual so I am kind of concerned but I hope shes okay. I have been kind of slacking but my mom is helping me thats why we are getting them new food and stuff. Also its getting warmer and they will be put outside in their ZooMed enclosure. Any advice would be great! Thanks!! :tort::tort:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
animalfreak said:
I have heard lots of great things about Mazuri tortoise food, so whats so great about it? I am considering buying it but before I do I would like to make sure I am making the correct choice. I am feeding them this pellet type stuff thats just grassland tortoise food, but I don't think they really like it. They wil both be a year old in June. It sounds dumb, but I thought it was an acomplishment because they finished their first full bag of spring mix! They are growing, but I still really need a fog machine or something because they are starting to pyramid. Molly has been in the log hide a lot laely more than usual so I am kind of concerned but I hope shes okay. I have been kind of slacking but my mom is helping me thats why we are getting them new food and stuff. Also its getting warmer and they will be put outside in their ZooMed enclosure. Any advice would be great! Thanks!! :tort::tort:

It is so popular because most tortoises LOVE the stuff. The ingredients aren't as impressive as the Grassland tortoise food, but mazuri has shown great results and most torts don't turn their nose to it. It would be great to mix in to your current feeding regimen. They also need to eat more weeds, grasses, and a variety of greens. Spring mix is good as part of a varied diet but shouldn't be offered by itself. They will grow a lot faster if you start feeding them mazuri, give them outdoor grazing time in a safe area where the plants and grass has not been treated with pesticides. Until you get a fogger or humidifier, you can make a lid with foil or plexiglass to trap the heat and humidity in your enclosure. Instead of moving their zoo med house outside, I would build a pen for them outdoors so they can graze on plants and weeds and give more room for exercise since the zoo med house is on the small side. What are your temps ( ambient, basking, cool, night) and your humidity? What is your source of UVB?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they are starting to pyramid you need to start to examine why and make immediate changes.

If you aren't using a closed chamber you should be. You mentioned a log hide. Do you also have a real humid hide? You need one if you don't have one.

A ZooMed enclosure is way to small for a yearling sulcata. You need something built on the ground and at least 4x8'. Here's an idea for a safe, cheap, easy way to do this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

Molly is most likely hiding because she is intimidated by Spike. They really should not be kept in pairs. They don't like the company and would prefer to be alone or in a small group where they won't be singled out.

Mazuri is good. I feed it once or twice a week. You should mostly be feeding grass and weeds. Some mulberry, hibiscus, grape and rose leaves, and some cactus pads would be good too.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
theelectraco said:
animalfreak said:

It is so popular because most tortoises LOVE the stuff. The ingredients aren't as impressive as the Grassland tortoise food, but mazuri has shown great results and most torts don't turn their nose to it. It would be great to mix in to your current feeding regimen. They also need to eat more weeds, grasses, and a variety of greens. Spring mix is good as part of a varied diet but shouldn't be offered by itself. They will grow a lot faster if you start feeding them mazuri, give them outdoor grazing time in a safe area where the plants and grass has not been treated with pesticides. Until you get a fogger or humidifier, you can make a lid with foil or plexiglass to trap the heat and humidity in your enclosure. Instead of moving their zoo med house outside, I would build a pen for them outdoors so they can graze on plants and weeds and give more room for exercise since the zoo med house is on the small side. What are your temps ( ambient, basking, cool, night) and your humidity? What is your source of UVB?

I will check the temps tomorrow. I need to make it A LOT more humid I am just kind of struggling with it. Also where do I find the weeds because I think mine have too many pesticides? Thanks and sorry I shouldve done more research :(

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Tom said:
If they are starting to pyramid you need to start to examine why and make immediate changes.

If you aren't using a closed chamber you should be. You mentioned a log hide. Do you also have a real humid hide? You need one if you don't have one.

A ZooMed enclosure is way to small for a yearling sulcata. You need something built on the ground and at least 4x8'. Here's an idea for a safe, cheap, easy way to do this.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

Molly is most likely hiding because she is intimidated by Spike. They really should not be kept in pairs. They don't like the company and would prefer to be alone or in a small group where they won't be singled out.

Mazuri is good. I feed it once or twice a week. You should mostly be feeding grass and weeds. Some mulberry, hibiscus, grape and rose leaves, and some cactus pads would be good too.

I am aware that I need to make it a whole lot more humid, but I also asked someone else, but where do I buy the grasses and stuff? The ZooMed is a pretty good size, but im not sure about separating them I will do what I can though.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The zoomed house may seem large but it really isn't big enough for long term housing for anything bigger than a hatchling. Take a look through some pictures in the Enclosure section and you will soon come to realize how much space is considered a minimimum and what most people offer their tortoises.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
theelectraco said:
The zoomed house may seem large but it really isn't big enough for long term housing for anything bigger than a hatchling. Take a look through some pictures in the Enclosure section and you will soon come to realize how much space is considered a minimimum and what most people offer their tortoises.

Okay thank you so much! Tomorrow when I'm online buying mazuri I will also look for some seeds! Thanks again!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can get a really good "testudo seed mix" from Tyler and Sarah at tortoisesupply.com. It's really good for any species.

You can get really good "premium pasture mix", which is mostly grass, from a site called groworganic.com. Click on seeds and then click on pasture mixes. The premium is fantastic stuff. While you are there you can also get some clover mix, and some alfalfa. All good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.