My experiment is working

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Although this may be no secret to some, I tried a replanting experiment and it's working.
I simply saved some of the bases from some fresh romaine heads and left them in water to see if they would generate. And sure enough most (not all) started too.

After 10 days or so of being in water I transplanted them in organic soil and some have really began to grow. I'm not sure what the long term results will be but it looks like a good way to recycle and produce some more of my own food in less time.

Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418762408.781280.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418762427.091785.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418762440.723895.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nasty at first, in the water pic, but hey if it works, right. You should also try using some of the living lettuces you can buy, that still has the roots on them, I bet they would grow good to.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Looks nasty at first, in the water pic, but hey if it works, right. You should also try using some of the living lettuces you can buy, that still has the roots on them, I bet they would grow good to.
I will have to look for that. I've never seen those in my local groceries.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Nice! I tried planting a couple living lettuce heads in the summer... and they got all brown and slimy. I think I watered them too much. :rolleyes:
This is great, I'll have to give it a go! :D