Mushrooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Can tortoises eat mushrooms? Specifically, the ones you buy in the produce section of the grocery store?

My wife had some leftover from some dish she was making the other day, and saved for me (or rather, the torts)...but I wasn't sure if they could eat them.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
I give mine portablella... Im not sure if theres a difference

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They can eat them but, even for humans ,they have relatively little nutritional value, so I don't feed them to Joe, only to me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They certainly do not hurt them and are said to carry D2 and fiber. I feed a variety of types of mushrooms all the time to the hingebacks, box turtles and Redfoots. I also have been known to toss them in with the younger members of the group like the Stars, Greeks, and Hermanns. Can't recall if I ever tried them on the sulcata or Russians.

What I like to do, is toss whole or atleast big chunks of the 'rooms all around the enclosure and let them hunt for them. :cool:

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I had this same problem a month or so ago with WalkingRock... I gave him some chopped up "shrooms with a bowl of salad then freaked when I saw him eating them and not knowing if it was good or not. Since he enjoyed them and found they arn't bad for him, he gets them more often (we eat alot of mushooms in my house). He doesn't get much but he always eats them 1st then everything else gets its turn.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Redfoot is a forest tort.... it will gobble mushrooms as fast as you can feed them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed them to my sulcatas and leopards from time to time.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As far as I can tell, they only have a significant dose of D2 if they are exposed to sunlight while growing, which I suspect 'store bought' aren't.

Still a tasty treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.