My enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Here is my starting point. I am getting a rescued red foot this weekend and want to make him/her as happy as possible. He/she is 4"-5" and in there are two large flower pots for hides and an old cat crate w a low lip to enter. I wasn't expecting to get my new friend so soon so I am making do with what I have so far. I will upgrade as I find things. I don't want to get carried away and have to undo thing so you guys tell me where to go from here. I need ideas for wading (something I could find around the house for now). Is this too big to start and how long will it be a suitable size? It is approx 8' x 14'

Attachments

• image-3777326454.png
    image-3777326454.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 102

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I love, love, love that you're making an outdoor habitat. Now, for a RF tortoise, you'll need lots of plantings to make it more jungle-like. You can have a portion sort of clear, but the rest well-planted. I would also buy some redwood 1x12 boards, drill holes in the ends top and bottom, and wire the boards to the inside of the kennel at ground level. This precludes the tortoise seeing out, and trying to escape all the time. The size is great.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
Thats going to be a great space! i dont have much advice for you since I'm a sulcata guy. Just make sure its safe and secure and I'll let the other Redfooters jump in with the rest. Good luck to you.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Yay! Thank you I will do some research for some safe plants to plant. I am already planning on dandelions. Should they be shorter at his/her level or a mixture of high and low?

JD9981

5 Year Member
I am in SW FL. I will take a look. Thank you!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice! You can also use zip ties to attach the wood planks around the base. And you can use any product that won't degrade; plastic roofing, Coroplast cut to size, etc.
Another idea is to add topsoil or untreated garden dirt in various areas over the grass to make mounds. Perhaps a 'river' of grass winding down the middle from the doorway as a path. That way you can submerge the pot hides so your tort feels more secure. You can also use cement blocks with a larger paver across the top, so your tort can have dirt to hide in.
For now, you can just start with a 1-2 mounds.

Make sure you add a water dish; a paint tray works well as your tort can climb in and out. Make sure it is positioned in a way that you can reach it with the hose to spray it out and refill fairly easily. You can ring this with bricks to stabilize it.

Good plants include hostas (unless blazing sun), grasses (carex, fescue), day lily, herbs like thyme, lavender. You probably have room for a Rose of Sharon (can get big, but you prune it to feed your tort).
You want to have some plants they won't eat with a bit of height so they have places to hide. You can then get tortoise seed mixes and sprinkle in a few areas.
See Carolina Pet Supply or Tortoise Supply for good seed mixes.

JD9981

5 Year Member
I will get on the mounds. The paint tray is a great idea. I have that on hand!
I am so glad to hear the size is good too. :)

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Hello! Well I noticed that there is a road and I think you should be concerned about someone maybe stealing your tortoise. Sometimes people are mean and uncaring enough to want to take it. just something you should take into consideration. You could cover that one side with a tarp or something. :)

JD9981

5 Year Member
Actually what looks like a road is actually my back yard. That back fence is a common one to our fenced in back yard and there is another house between it and the road but it is a rather busy road and deff something I will take into consideration. There aren't too many houses in this neighborhood to scare off a thief. :) thanks!

JD9981 said:
Actually what looks like a road is my back yard. That back fence is a common one to our fenced in back yard and there is another house between it and the road but it is a rather busy road and deff something I will take into consideration. There aren't too many houses in this neighborhood to scare off a thief. :) thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.