Considering a companion for my red-footed tort

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's a good point. What's your opinion of separating a male and female Redfoot,
if the enclosed space is large enough. We have a very large enclosed backyard. If
I allocated half of the yard for each sex, would that work, and how often would you
let them 'hang out'? Thanks.
You will just have to see for yourself. I once had a male that lived alone, but he knew where in the yard the female was and spent every waking moment of every day trying to get to her. That male now lives with another member and he has a harem of females.
I also had a pair that was housed together for a while and the male only seemed "interested" during the rainy season.
Each time it will be a little different.
Right now I own two very calm males with five females. I'd bet that if I had either of these males alone with just one female in that large pen, that they would be fine. But getting a duo like that takes time and effort.
There is also the issue of territory. Each tortoise will have it's own territory when kept apart and you would have to introduce them into an unfamiliar pen to stop them from getting upset.
Any time you have an established tortoise and then ad another or two, they are now intruders.
I've added and removed several tortoises trying to get them all to live in harmony.
You COULD, maybe do it on your first try. I hope that you do. And please keep reporting your progress.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
You will just have to see for yourself. I once had a male that lived alone, but he knew where in the yard the female was and spent every waking moment of every day trying to get to her. That male now lives with another member and he has a harem of females.
I also had a pair that was housed together for a while and the male only seemed "interested" during the rainy season.
Each time it will be a little different.
Right now I own two very calm males with five females. I'd bet that if I had either of these males alone with just one female in that large pen, that they would be fine. But getting a duo like that takes time and effort.
There is also the issue of territory. Each tortoise will have it's own territory when kept apart and you would have to introduce them into an unfamiliar pen to stop them from getting upset.
Any time you have an established tortoise and then ad another or two, they are now intruders.
I've added and removed several tortoises trying to get them all to live in harmony.
You COULD, maybe do it on your first try. I hope that you do. And please keep reporting your progress.
I'm fastidious when it comes to details, so I appreciate the amount of information you've been
providing. I agree, it's going to boil down to the personality of the tortoises I end of receiving.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
When I have a large yard available in nice weather (40x60ft) I have all 6 tortoises outside in the same yard with a lot of barriers and hides and I don't notice much trouble. They seem to favor the same hides and stick together at night, but during the day they are all doing their own thing.

When winter comes and we are stuck indoors is when we encounter issues since the ladies can't get away as easily.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
When I have a large yard available in nice weather (40x60ft) I have all 6 tortoises outside in the same yard with a lot of barriers and hides and I don't notice much trouble. They seem to favor the same hides and stick together at night, but during the day they are all doing their own thing.

When winter comes and we are stuck indoors is when we encounter issues since the ladies can't get away as easily.
Just curious, but what is your male/female ratio?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Just curious, but what is your male/female ratio?

Last summer it was 1 large very mature male, 1 juvi male who wasn't very sexually aggressive, 2 mature females and 2 juveniles who were unsexed. Now I have 3 confirmed males, 2 females and 1 juvi who I suspect is female.

Adrian Tufton

5 Year Member
Thanks for the picture. You weren't kidding. He's a Big Sucker!!! I wouldn't
want him chasing me around the yard.