My Box Turtle Enclosure

Michael Naz

View attachment 184371

This is the inside of a juvenile/yearling outdoor enclosure. Pretty basic and simple.

Size: 3' x 3'
Materials:

Wood - maybe $20
Hardware cloth - $3-5 5ft roll
Plants: I get whatever is on sale and clearance suitable for the location. The hosta was $3 the ivy was $1.50 and the Japanese spurge was a 6 pack on sale for $3
Leftover hide from garage sale $1
Terra cotta dish got from Kmart going out of business was like $.35
River Rock $2 for big bag
Throw in some rocks, sticks, leaves, etc. I borrowed from Mother Nature your good:)

View attachment 184373

This is a 8' x 16' I built this year for my new ornate box turtle.
I got the pond liner free off of Craigslist(curb alert). Waited till the landscaping timbers were on sale at lowes at $2.50 a piece and pieced in the plants. Heck I got the sedum for around the pond for $2 on clearance at lowes. If your patient, there are plenty of deals and cheap items that can be done to make an enclosure. This enclosure isn't even finished, should get better with each growing season. There are so many ways to build an affordable enclosure.
Nice habitat! But my property is definitely not safe for an outdoor enclosure (wild dogs, hawks, coons, etc).

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
rubbermaid 424300 BLA-50 gal stock tank costs about $90-70.

Is the wooden enclosure cheaper? How much does it cost?

Im fairly new to turtles, btw, if you couldnt tell ;)

For now our rescued Stanley lives in a 4x2 wooden enclosure...end of Jan. I will be building him a 5x3 box made out of plywood...it will be 30 for the sheet and a dollar per cut from a local hardware store
..homedepot charges 50cent per cut...substrate I use topsoil through out...reptibark under hos wading pool and the corner sphagnum moss where he loves to bury himself in..

Attachments

• 20161218_170636.jpg
    20161218_170636.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20161214_061512.jpg
    20161214_061512.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Hey dont fret! I taught my lady how to build and use a simple drill. She built our russians torts house...its 5x3...you can do it...plenty of diy vids on youtube...and many members in here could offer advice as some have ...if you have a homedepot near you they will cut the wood you choose to build with...if Im not mistaken, first 2 cuts are free and after 50cent per cut. A sheet of plywood is 4x8 and it will be 27-30bucks...you can try a local hardware store too...