Box Turtle Hibernation Questions

KellBell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, CA
Hello,

We recently and happily took in a female (so we're told) three toed box turtle from a coworker. She had the turtle in her backyard but then got a new new puppy which began terrorizing the turtle. My coworker said the turtle hibernates every winter but wasn't sure as to the time frame. I've read what I can on box turtles. We're keeping the turtle in a large outdoor wooden pen, approximately 6 feet x 3 feet. I've laid down about four inches of dirt with another inch of micro bark on top. She has plants, a couple shelters and a water dish. She wasn't showing much interest in hibernating, but I stopped feeding her last week and I've noticed she's spending more time in the dirt - she's still out and about maybe half the time. The temps are still rather warm here in Roseville - 80's during the day and 40's at night.

Question 1 - do I need to add more dirt? She currently has about four-five inches total to dig into.
Question 2 - is it okay if I still water the plants in her enclosure during the winter? The plants don't see a lot of sun, but it'd be nice to keep them alive.

Thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• Shelley Box.jpg
    Shelley Box.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Shelley's House.jpg
    Shelley's House.jpg
    984.4 KB · Views: 21

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
on one side of the pen , preferably the sunniest part , dig down about a foot or foot and a half , loosen the soil , cover it with a pile of grass clipping and leaves ......

DSCF3407.jpg

DSCF2860.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131525630976531154.jpg

Aviary_Photo_131525632205327784.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i would offer her food until she loses interest in it ............... i'm in ohio , my eastern box turtles are still eating .......