My Box Turtle Enclosure

Michael Naz

I fear my box turtle enclosure may be too small. I have him in my screened deck; if she's outside, well, my property has wild dogs, coons, and eagles (and, twice, emus) that could hurt my box turtle if I leave her out of the screened deck. Any ideas on how or where I can get a big enough pen for her that can be inside a deck?

This is her current home:

photo (4).JPG

It would be preferred if it was around 5 feet by 3 feet

Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can buy these in assorted sizes:

Z_82_ufo5oy.JPG

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Any feed store will have them. You can build a wooden outdoor enclosure with a hardware cloth hinged top too.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I fear my box turtle enclosure may be too small. I have him in my screened deck; if she's outside, well, my property has wild dogs, coons, and eagles (and, twice, emus) that could hurt my box turtle if I leave her out of the screened deck. Any ideas on how or where I can get a big enough pen for her that can be inside a deck?

This is her current home:

View attachment 183999

It would be preferred if it was around 5 feet by 3 feet

Please help!

Whatever enclosure you choose to do whether indoors or outdoors I would recommend not using small gravel like the fish tank gravel you have in the enclosure.

Michael Naz

Whatever enclosure you choose to do whether indoors or outdoors I would recommend not using small gravel like the fish tank gravel you have in the enclosure.
I changed that; its a relativelty old pic. Her tank is mostly moss now. Any ideas to spice it up a bit?

Michael Naz

rubbermaid 424300 BLA-50 gal stock tank costs about $90-70.

Is the wooden enclosure cheaper? How much does it cost?

Im fairly new to turtles, btw, if you couldnt tell ;)

Michael Naz

Yeah I changed that. I was slowly losing gravel to her water bowl whenever i changed it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You could build a big wooden enclosure for half that price.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471794358.802399.jpg

This is the inside of a juvenile/yearling outdoor enclosure. Pretty basic and simple.

Size: 3' x 3'
Materials:

Wood - maybe $20
Hardware cloth - $3-5 5ft roll
Plants: I get whatever is on sale and clearance suitable for the location. The hosta was $3 the ivy was $1.50 and the Japanese spurge was a 6 pack on sale for $3
Leftover hide from garage sale $1
Terra cotta dish got from Kmart going out of business was like $.35
River Rock $2 for big bag
Throw in some rocks, sticks, leaves, etc. I borrowed from Mother Nature your good:)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471795007.345254.jpg

This is a 8' x 16' I built this year for my new ornate box turtle.
I got the pond liner free off of Craigslist(curb alert). Waited till the landscaping timbers were on sale at lowes at $2.50 a piece and pieced in the plants. Heck I got the sedum for around the pond for $2 on clearance at lowes. If your patient, there are plenty of deals and cheap items that can be done to make an enclosure. This enclosure isn't even finished, should get better with each growing season. There are so many ways to build an affordable enclosure.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
View attachment 184371

This is the inside of a juvenile/yearling outdoor enclosure. Pretty basic and simple.

Size: 3' x 3'
Materials:

Wood - maybe $20
Hardware cloth - $3-5 5ft roll
Plants: I get whatever is on sale and clearance suitable for the location. The hosta was $3 the ivy was $1.50 and the Japanese spurge was a 6 pack on sale for $3
Leftover hide from garage sale $1
Terra cotta dish got from Kmart going out of business was like $.35
River Rock $2 for big bag
Throw in some rocks, sticks, leaves, etc. I borrowed from Mother Nature your good:)

View attachment 184373

This is a 8' x 16' I built this year for my new ornate box turtle.
I got the pond liner free off of Craigslist(curb alert). Waited till the landscaping timbers were on sale at lowes at $2.50 a piece and pieced in the plants. Heck I got the sedum for around the pond for $2 on clearance at lowes. If your patient, there are plenty of deals and cheap items that can be done to make an enclosure. This enclosure isn't even finished, should get better with each growing season. There are so many ways to build an affordable enclosure.
Yes, but building skills are Needed! Or a husband willing to build, which mine is not.