Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
This will be my first winter with my Three Toed Box Turtle. She lives out side in a deck box turned in to a turtle garden. Should I just let her hibernate on her own when she decides to? Should I put the lid on the box? Maybe leave a small gap for air? All thoughts welcome......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't. I hibernate everything indoors under controlled conditions. Too much risk leaving them outside at the mercy of winter weather extremes for me. Nearly everyone on here, including me, has lost animals due to hibernation mishaps. I have never lost a single one, or had any problems, hibernating them indoors. I use my garage. It stays around 55 all winter long.

mx568

5 Year Member
I agree w/ Tom. Even in the wild many herps don't make it. Just make sure you stop feeding them at least a week before you start the "sleep".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a slight hi-jack of this thread to say to MX568:

Welcome to the forum!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't think she will survive in a deck box. When box turtles hibernate, they dig down in the ground. How deep they go depends on what the temperature is. The will dig deeper or move up as needed to stay between 40 and 50 degrees Farenheit. In a deck box, she will be above ground, and could even freeze solid. That will kill her. An above ground container of soil won't allow her to regulate her temperature. Kind of like a pond that is completely above ground will freeze solid, but one that is the same depth, but sunk in the ground, won't freeze all the way to the bottom.

I would bring her indoors. You could even bring the deck box indoors, and just add a clamp light for heat. I personally wouldn't take the risk, especially since you have not had her very long. Even a very tiny health issue can cause her to die during hibernation.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have had box turtles for well over thirty years, and never brought any in and never lost or had a sick one. That being said, this year, since I've gotten back into the hobby, I only have juveniles, 3..4 year olds. The one's that aren't heavy enough, and one old Ornate, I've brought it. The others are outside, and I am a nervous wreck.
First, I loosen the soil to about 2 feet, then add peat moss, mix it up, then about three feet of leaf litter. This is all in a cave with a piece of plywood covered with another piece of pond liner, to keep it dry. It is on an elevated side of the boxie garden, to avoid flooding, and on the other side of the garden at least 3 feet under the soil is drainage pipes leading out from the boxie garden.
There is a lot of work put into making a natural environment for them to live and hibernate, and even with my experience, there is always a chance of loosing some.
I would also advise you to take your boxie inside. If you do, make sure you keep the temperature in his enclosure in the high 70's or low 80's, and make sure the lighting co-ensiles with the daylight hours outside. He will probably still slow down a bit, because no matter what you do they seem to know that it's winter.
I hope this helps you, and good luck with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.