My adventure with a baby Hermann's tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Just thought I'd share my little story. So I needed to go to Petco to buy some crickets, and I didn't want to leave Carl outside while I was gone, but wasn't planning on being too long so putting him inside would be silly. I decided to take him along. We stopped at Petco, everything was fine. Then I remembered I needed to grab some spring mix, so I decided "what the heck, I'm taking Carl with me to Walmart".

As I was walking through the isles of Walmart, trying to inconspicuously hide my tortoise in a closed hand, he BIT ME! He'd never bitten me before, so I didn't know that it would pinch so bad. I brought along a leaf to keep him occupied, he got down to the last bit, and accidentily bit my finger. He also didn't let go :p So here I am, in the middle of the produce isle, with a tortoise hanging off of my finger, trying to coax him to let go while not alerting everyone in the store to the baby tortoise in my hand.

If that wasn't enough, he decided to poop on me in the check out lane -_- Needless to say, Carl is no longer invited to outings.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Me? No way! I -------------------------------------------------------------------- all the time. (Censored. Too much information.)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Edna said:
Me? No way! I -------------------------------------------------------------------- all the time. (Censored. Too much information.)

It's probably better that way :)

6speedtitaniumr/t said:
:D that's funny... what have you been feeding him......? lol:p

He was just reminding you he was there...:)

How could I forget, he was trying his hardest to squeeze his little head between my fingers the whole time :p Now that I think about it, maybe THAT's why he bit me. Or maybe he was just mad that his leaf was gone. I still just can't believe he actually bit me, the little jerk.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
GBtortoises said:
One good reason (among many) why tortoises shouldn't be carried around. They're not pocket Chihuahuas. They're much better off left at home in their own environment.

I agree. While its a cute story, I think your tortoise is better off left at home!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
It was the first time he went out, actually, and the only reason I took him was because I weighed it as my best option. I'm sure he enjoyed himself, he got to eat a leaf, and I have now learned to never ever ever take him anywhere again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.