MVB Bulbs.... I need a lighting pro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Ok so i was looking at the zoo med MVB bulbs and noticed the readouts are the same as the industrial type MVB bulbs.... Are they the same type and do the same thing?
Like using Metal halides to grow corals just the same as the fancy brand name reef LEDs at a fraction of the cost?
I have several pens and encloseures I will be switching over and cost is a big factor....
Example:
Model: MV100/DX/38/ED17
Energy Used: 100W
Voltage: 120V
Lumens: 4000
Finish: Mercury Vapor White
Base Type: Medium Base (E26)
Bulb Shape: ED-17
Rated Avg Life: 24,000hrs
Burn Position: Universal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Vap...380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c5db3e1c

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Wow great price. Thanks for the share. If it indeed is safe or works im using the buy it now lol...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I am completely useless at knowing if it is equivalent, but will certainly be following this post!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Short answer, no. Reptile MVBs are designed to put out UVB. Those are not, and may even be designed to block the UV that is produced (safety).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
These do not emit any useful amounts of UV- there is no reason to make a typical bulb emit UV, and since UV does things like weaken plastics, fade fabrics, etc.- no one really wants it for most purposes. If it is going to emit UV, it will do so for a reason and brag about it in the specs. remember- MVB itself does not automatically mean UVB MVB.

The whole thing is actually a bit weirder than this though. Many types of bulbs other than plain incandescent actually create a ton of UV light in the process. The coating on the inside of the glass converts this invisible light to light our eyes can see. UVB bulbs are actually coated in such a way that more of the actual UV being made comes out.

This would seem to be a cheaper option, wouldn't it? But 99.9% of all bulbs made want to convert as much of the UV to useful light as they can, so THAT is the cheaper process.

Status
Not open for further replies.