Mvb and thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Can you use a thermostat for an mvb bulb?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
id say you could but when mine gets shut off it takes about 5-10 minutes to cool off and kick back on...

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Yeah that is,true, Im just concerned of it getting too hot in morlas new house with one on.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Typical thermostats may not be a great choice with MVB- they work by turning something on and off to regulate the temps, so not only will the light be turning on and off, but MVB's have overheat sensors and if the bulb is too warm and you turn it off, it stays off until it cools enough.

You may want to look into using a smaller MVB, a taller mounting method, or something.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Madkins007 said:
Typical thermostats may not be a great choice with MVB- they work by turning something on and off to regulate the temps, so not only will the light be turning on and off, but MVB's have overheat sensors and if the bulb is too warm and you turn it off, it stays off until it cools enough.

You may want to look into using a smaller MVB, a taller mounting method, or something.
Sorry I didn't even think to ask what size bulb it was. That's why I try not to answer too many questions cause I end up not saying or asking the right questions...
Live and learn!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
cemmons12 said:
Madkins007 said:

Sorry I didn't even think to ask what size bulb it was. That's why I try not to answer too many questions cause I end up not saying or asking the right questions...
Live and learn!

its a 100w MVB but because my enclosure is a closed chamber one it gets so too hot. I think i am just going to switch just a basking light and no uvb....she goes outside atleast 4 times a week for 2-5 hours a day

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
jesst said:
its a 100w MVB but because my enclosure is a closed chamber one it gets so too hot. I think i am just going to switch just a basking light and no uvb....she goes outside atleast 4 times a week for 2-5 hours a day

I had to stop using MVBs for the same reason. Even with the smallest, it was still too hot. And if you raise it too high, the UVB that reaches the substrate is negligible, so what was the point of using a MVB again? There was a while when I was trying to make it work, I had it on a timer so it would come on for a bit and then go off before things got too hot.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Im going to have to not ise it...sucks cause they arent cheap

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If your reptiles have access to real light (not filtered through glass or plastic) for a few hours a week, then any UVB indoors is not a big deal.

You can try to offer the bulb for sale here or on something like Craigslist- they usually sell OK, especially if you have some evidence of when you bought it.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you. I think im just going to use a basking light and a che. I live in florida so the weather is nice and she gets out about 4 times a week for 2-6 hours at a time.

EKLC

5 Year Member
As much as people like MVB's, they just get way too hot for my tank (which is 180 gallons btw). My tort is much more lethargic with the MVB. I have gone with the basking light and he is much more active, florida sun does its job for me

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
jesst said:
Thank you. I think im just going to use a basking light and a che. I live in florida so the weather is nice and she gets out about 4 times a week for 2-6 hours at a time.

i agree i dont think that you need a MVB , that is also the reason i dont use mercury vapor bulbs. even the 100 watt bulbs need to be placed at least 12 inches from the substrate or no matter what ur basking temps the UVB rays are so strong they will burn your tortoise, like a sunburn.
i have had this happen to me once and then it almost happened again when i switched my sullies over to their new cage... i was using a wire cage light fixture so the heat was dispersed everywhere making an only 95 or so degree basking spot maybe six inches from the substrate but it still almost roasted my tortoise from wayy too strong UVB rays even if the heat wasnt that strong...i dont use artifical UVB anymore lol
which brings me to my next point if your worried that he isnt getting enough vitamin D from the winter sunning then give him calcium with vitamin D added :)
the best kind is a brand called Repashy Superfoods SuperCal MeD , it has medium levels of vitamin D for reptiles that get some but maybe not enough , or u can get the LoD. i use the hyD to go UVB less

Status
Not open for further replies.