UVB in a mvb

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Does anyone know how long the UVB lasts in a mvb bulb?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some member was working on that. Not sure who. It is suppose to last close to a year, 9 to 12 months. I was told, when I bought my tort. last year that they lasted three years. However, I am learning that is wrong info. So, I am switching mine out at a year. Still can be used though for heat until it blows.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
wellington said:
Some member was working on that. Not sure who. It is suppose to last close to a year, 9 to 12 months. I was told, when I bought my tort. last year that they lasted three years. However, I am learning that is wrong info. So, I am switching mine out at a year. Still can be used though for heat until it blows.

Any way to Tell when the UVB have all gone

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Unfortunately, you have to be proportionate in costs.

Assume an MVB is out of UVB after 9-12 months and a tube UVB light after 6 months.

Any money spent on a UV detector would take some time to recover.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would factor in exposure to sunlight as well. If your tortoises get outside more often then not, I wouldn't worry about the diminishing UVB from the MVB and would replace it annually. Probably right at the start of fall/winter so the MVB is most effective while they get outside the least.

That said, personally, I wouldn't rely on a bulb as my main source of UVB without having a meter to test the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.