Moved tort

Cindy63

Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island
Hi everyone! So I'm not sure if I'm looking for an answer or just seeing if anyone has experienced my newest situation lol. I recently bought my Russian tortoise a larger enclosure and he seemed to like it. He ate walked and drank. But then I had to move the enclosure upstairs to my bedroom because my sister refused to have such a large enclosure in her living room. Mind you he's been in the living room since I got her which is about 1 1/2 months. Well when I moved her upstairs she stopped eating and being her alert self this went on for 3 days. Finally this morning I put her back in her smaller enclosure and took her back downstairs. Within 5 minutes she started eating walking and soaking herself and drinking in her water dish. Could she of possibly missed the atmosphere she was used to?
Thank you from a very new tort mom!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi everyone! So I'm not sure if I'm looking for an answer or just seeing if anyone has experienced my newest situation lol. I recently bought my Russian tortoise a larger enclosure and he seemed to like it. He ate walked and drank. But then I had to move the enclosure upstairs to my bedroom because my sister refused to have such a large enclosure in her living room. Mind you he's been in the living room since I got her which is about 1 1/2 months. Well when I moved her upstairs she stopped eating and being her alert self this went on for 3 days. Finally this morning I put her back in her smaller enclosure and took her back downstairs. Within 5 minutes she started eating walking and soaking herself and drinking in her water dish. Could she of possibly missed the atmosphere she was used to?
Hello and welcome to the Tortoise Forum. You might be able to do a slower transition to her new enclosure by just putting her there while you're in your bedroom. But older more experienced members will be able to help you with much more good advice. Hang in there. The temperature and humidity could be a factor. They could answer those questions better then me.

Cindy63

Staten Island
Hello and welcome to the Tortoise Forum. You might be able to do a slower transition to her new enclosure by just putting her there while you're in your bedroom. But older more experienced members will be able to help you with much more good advice. Hang in there. The temperature and humidity could be a factor. They could answer those questions better then me.
Thank you

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you
You're welcome. I have a Russian too. It's easy too carry them back and forth to other enclosures. I've had my little guy for almost 12 years. I carry him to his outside enclosure in good weather for fresh air and sunshine everyday that is good for him. But please just check out all of the care info for Russians on this site for more detailed information. It will really help you and I'm sure more experienced members will contact you soon.

Changa

Ca
;) what I have read from the forum Change does affect them

Cindy63

Staten Island
It wasn't a change to his enclosure I just moved the whole thing to my bedroom upstairs. Since I've had her back downstairs in the living room she's been much more alert and eating again. But I've had to put her back in her smaller enclosure and she really does seem to love it. Her head sticks out whenever she sees me. Very confused. She's my little Russian tort princess

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It wasn't a change to his enclosure I just moved the whole thing to my bedroom upstairs. Since I've had her back downstairs in the living room she's been much more alert and eating again. But I've had to put her back in her smaller enclosure and she really does seem to love it. Her head sticks out whenever she sees me. Very confused. She's my little Russian tort princess
If I picked up your whole house and moved it to Henderson Nevada, and then put you back in it, would that not be a pretty big change for you?

Tortoises do not generally like change, even if its change for the better. It just takes them time to get used to new things. I like Cathy's suggestion of a slow transition. Keep both enclosure going for a while and move the tortoise back and forth as needed. Start with only an hour at a time in the new larger upstairs enclosure, and gradually add more time up there day by day. Offer food in both places, and eventually, the new place will be more familiar and comfortable.

Cindy63

Staten Island
If I picked up your whole house and moved it to Henderson Nevada, and then put you back in it, would that not be a pretty big change for you?

Tortoises do not generally like change, even if its change for the better. It just takes them time to get used to new things. I like Cathy's suggestion of a slow transition. Keep both enclosure going for a while and move the tortoise back and forth as needed. Start with only an hour at a time in the new larger upstairs enclosure, and gradually add more time up there day by day. Offer food in both places, and eventually, the new place will be more familiar and comfortable.
Thank you so much This group is amazing and so willing to help out and offer suggestions! Again thank you from a newbie Russian tortoise mom

Shuler24

Michigan
Our Sheldon who is a RT, HATES change....of any kind, including if his enclosure gets moved. When we got him a larger enclosure he pouted for about two days, wouldn’t eat, nothing. Looked at us like we left him alone for a year (and we made his world better!). (He has a look....you can tell when he is pissed). But he gets over it and is fine. He even sulks when we clean out and change his substrate with new fresh stuff. Like Dmmj said, they are super OCD. It used to really freak me out like you, but know it’s kinda a family joke. Oh we moved a plant today, watch out Sheldon is going to give you the stink eyes....

Cindy63

Staten Island
Our Sheldon who is a RT, HATES change....of any kind, including if his enclosure gets moved. When we got him a larger enclosure he pouted for about two days, wouldn’t eat, nothing. Looked at us like we left him alone for a year (and we made his world better!). (He has a look....you can tell when he is pissed). But he gets over it and is fine. He even sulks when we clean out and change his substrate with new fresh stuff. Like Dmmj said, they are super OCD. It used to really freak me out like you, but know it’s kinda a family joke. Oh we moved a plant today, watch out Sheldon is going to give you the stink eyes....
That's funny! But what I'm not understanding is that she (Rubble...my 3yr old picked the name) was doing ok when I put her in the new larger enclosure. It wasn't until I had to move the entire thing upstairs to my bedroom because my sister wouldn't let me keep it in the living room because of its size. Can they really tell that they're not in the same room? She's doing a great job of confusing me lol !!!

Shuler24

Michigan
Oh for sure would be my guess. When we got the larger enclosure for Sheldon we had to move it, and he looks up and “over” as far as I can tell, staring at the different views, in his sight line as far as he can over the 12inch walls, but he craned his head while walking the back walk. Now he also walked the perimeter looking for a way to escape (because that’s his hobby as far as I can tell). Sheldon normally takes a couple days to get back to normal. But I just watch him and make sure he doesn’t look lethargic, and that he is moving around normally. Which he does even when he is pouting. She might also be getting used to new sounds and smells.

Shuler24

Michigan
Oh for sure would be my guess. When we got the larger enclosure for Sheldon we had to move it, and he looks up and “over” as far as I can tell, staring at the different views, in his sight line as far as he can over the 12inch walls, but he craned his head while walking the back walk. Now he also walked the perimeter looking for a way to escape (because that’s his hobby as far as I can tell). Sheldon normally takes a couple days to get back to normal. But I just watch him and make sure he doesn’t look lethargic, and that he is moving around normally. Which he does even when he is pouting. She might also be getting used to new sounds and smells.
I should also point out, by no means am I am expert on this, since this is just my personal observations with Sheldon in the last few months. But you are in the right place to get advice.

Cindy63

Staten Island
I should also point out, by no means am I am expert on this, since this is just my personal observations with Sheldon in the last few months. But you are in the right place to get advice.
Thank you I feel very welcomed here and everyone is super nice and very informative ! So in your notice with Sheldon you think they can tell they were moved to a different room? When Rubble is down in the living room she's always looking around but when I put her upstairs not so much and of course it was much quieter since I only went in there a few times.

Shuler24

Michigan
Thank you I feel very welcomed here and everyone is super nice and very informative ! So in your notice with Sheldon you think they can tell they were moved to a different room? When Rubble is down in the living room she's always looking around but when I put her upstairs not so much and of course it was much quieter since I only went in there a few times.
I think so. We have been surprised at what he knows about his surroundings. He notices little things all the time and will diligently check them out if something has been moved or changed in his enclosures. If I notice a weak spot in his outside enclosure and shore it up, he always follows that path until he realizes it has been fixed. So he has a pretty good memory. I see him stare out at the top of his box all the time, and he defiantly notices when we approach. He sits right by his side where he knows he might get picked up and taken outside (his favorite pastime). As I spend more time watching him, I’m amazed at how intelligent they are. This forum is filled with posts that say the same thing.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's too funny...I know that look so well.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just give him so head scratches and he forgives me....until the next time. He has a memory like an elephant but doesn’t remember that I am responsible for feeding him...lol.
My little guy senses the days he can't go outside and looks at me with little puppy tortoise eyes anyway...then stands up as tall as he can so that I'll pick him up and take him outside. I can't wait for summer so I won't have to disappoint him for awhile.

Shuler24

Michigan
My little guy senses the days he can't go outside and looks at me with little puppy tortoise eyes anyway...then stands up as tall as he can so that I'll pick him up and take him outside. I can't wait for summer so I won't have to disappoint him for awhile.
Love it!