HELP PLEASE tortoise digs in corners

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
indeed, i think im going to go with the kiddy pool idea, until spring comes back to indiana, and i can finish building her outside enclosure.
Hi. There are also these bins you can but at Walmart.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412213862.597127.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412213876.544039.jpg
You can also look for a used bookshelf in good condition. You can line it with heavy-duty plastic.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Dasten

Rubbermaid storage tubs are really cheap. A 50 gallon tub would work great. Smaller ones can be attached together. Stock tanks work.

Glass tanks are expensive, but they're not what you need in any size.

A 10 gallon tank is too small for proper lighting or temperature control or gradations. So not only does the tortoise have too little space, it has an inadequate environment in other critical aspects.

Venus' needs are not being met. To be fair to her, you'll have to be creative to give her a proper habitat. You can do that very cheaply except for the UVB bulb. That will cost you. If you can't expand her habitat, you should consider rehoming her.

i can expand her habitat, but as this is my first tort im still learning on what needs to be done to support her needs. i found a blue day bulb that doubles at both a UVB and heat bulb, and she gets fed twice a day, the only issue im having is trying to figure out how big her habitat needs to be which since joining this forum, has helped alot. now its just a wait until payday comes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i can expand her habitat, but as this is my first tort im still learning on what needs to be done to support her needs. i found a blue day bulb that doubles at both a UVB and heat bulb, and she gets fed twice a day, the only issue im having is trying to figure out how big her habitat needs to be which since joining this forum, has helped alot. now its just a wait until payday comes.

Totally understandable...we are not all oozing cash...lol....did you read the entire box for the bulb you mentioned...I have never see the blue day bulbs to be uvb also???/ That does not mean they have not made one by now---I just have not seen one....

Magilla504

Put a wanted add out on craigslist. There are a lot of good people out there that would be happy to give you an old tank or container. I live in Virginia and would be able to give you one if you were closer. It never hurts to try! If no one is willing I would go with the big Rubbermaid style bin idea.
Good luck buddy,
Jason

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Daston, what are your temps/humidity? This could also be why your tortoise is trying to escape, as well as the tank being too small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Daston, and welcome to the Forum!

The days are getting shorter and the nights cooler. This is telling your tortoise it needs to find a place to hibernate. This is hard-wired into them and some of them just will not be kept awake no matter how hard you try. The tortoise is trying to escape and find a suitable hibernating place.

Besides the 10 gallon tank being too small, it doesn't allow the tortoise enough room to wander. And being loose in the house isn't a good option either. They need their own space.

There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I hope you can see your way clear to upgrade your tortoise's space.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a yard? Securely fenced? A patio? Or any way of letting your tortoise outside for a couple hours a day? I too love the plastic kiddie pool idea, with a couple bucks worth of garden soil. Free U.V.B! And lots of room, though still not much.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sometimes your Russian tortoise will still dig in the corners. They dig when they go into their hide at night no matter how big the enclosure is so don't worry about a little bit of digging. They are just trying to get comfortable.They will do it less in a large enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I guess one advantage to the kiddie pool is there's no corners to hide in :) he'll still dig in the hides but that's okay. That's what they're supposed to do.

Delilah1623

I just moved my russian to a 5' kiddie pool. He seems much happier and doesn't scratch in the corners anymore.

Attachments

• 20140928_165500.jpg
    20140928_165500.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22

Delilah1623

How close is too close? It's about 10" above the soil. I think maybe it looks closer than it is? It gets about 90 degrees at soil level.

Delilah1623

I am not sure. He usually doesn't sit directly under the light and if he does he usually digs into the soil. I will see about getting a rock under it and checking the temp on that and see what it comes out to. Thanks for the tip! He is my first and he has only been here about a month so we are on a learning curve.

Dasten

Totally understandable...we are not all oozing cash...lol....did you read the entire box for the bulb you mentioned...I have never see the blue day bulbs to be uvb also???/ That does not mean they have not made one by now---I just have not seen one....

ill have to find the box and take a picture for ya but yes it does both :)

Dasten

Do you have a yard? Securely fenced? A patio? Or any way of letting your tortoise outside for a couple hours a day? I too love the plastic kiddie pool idea, with a couple bucks worth of garden soil. Free U.V.B! And lots of room, though still not much.

its getting really cold here and i cant keep her outside for very long.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is a lot to learn, I have had my tortoise for two years and I continue to learn and make changes and upgrades. A temperature gun is extremely handy because you can just "point-and-shoot" and it will tell you the temperature of any place in the enclosure and the top of your tortoise :) I bought a new bulb for heating, put it in the enclosure for a couple hours, then check the temperature it was 128°!I darn near had a heart attack so I raised the lamp up a few inches and checked an hour later and it was 100°. I never would have known that if I hadn't had the temperature gun and I could've barbecued my tortoise. there is a thread running right now about a tortoise that got burned and the owner didn't know it.if the tortoise is going to be inside all winter then you have time to plan and research and outdoor enclosure. But just from my own experience make it as big as you possibly can manage or else you will have to keep adding to it every year.at least that's what I've done and I could just kick myself for not making it that big to begin with. But for now just get the inside one good and don't get too overwhelmed.

Dasten

venus.jpg venus2.jpg
I got venus a kiddy pool today and transplanted dandelions (i hope they dont die :oops:) but she seems happy, i also sifted through the dirt so theres no chunks of anything harmful, and i dont know if i should keep worms in there or not so i took them all out.

Magilla504

Hey buddy, your enclosure is coming along:) just push your bowl down so it's level with the dirt. Torts can bend the shells. Keep up the great work and effort