Mosquitos a danger?

ben awes

5 Year Member
I’ve never had a concern about this before, but mosquitoes have just hatched up here in Minnesota and I’ve noticed them flying around Uncle Bri. Can they cause harm to aldabras? Can they get through the skin?

Headless Uncle Bri (but not because of mosquitoes).

IMG_1069.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OH NO!!!!! Someone chopped off his head!!!

I wouldn't think mosquitos would be a problem for any cold blooded creature. Seems like the mosquitos zero in on warm blooded creatures.

Uncle is looking good. How much does he weigh now? My little Leopard, Benawes, is doing well and growing like a weed. I can't remember if I ever told you that he's male, even with his aberrant scutes. I have him in with the two I got from Tom (male and female), but he's a little intimidated by the male, so hasn't tried his hand at breeding yet. But their pasture is very large, so it's not a problem having the two males together. They're never in the same area. Next time I see him I'll get a picture for you.

Sesel

Seychelles
I’ve never had a concern about this before, but mosquitoes have just hatched up here in Minnesota and I’ve noticed them flying around Uncle Bri. Can they cause harm to aldabras?

Not that I've heard of. Plenty of them here in the wet season and around the tortoises.

Can they get through the skin?
Probably, I imagine that's why the tortoises would 'bury' themselves in the mud or water ponds when available.

20171223_173401.jpg

Olddog

5 Year Member
Florida
I’ve never had a concern about this before, but mosquitoes have just hatched up here in Minnesota and I’ve noticed them flying around Uncle Bri. Can they cause harm to aldabras? Can they get through the skin?

Headless Uncle Bri (but not because of mosquitoes).

View attachment 243592

Mosquitos do penetrate large tortoise shells at the margin between scutes. Oiling the shells with petroleum jelly may be of some help. They also manage to penetrate the skin in thinner areas. This may be part of the reason the tortoises cover themselves in mud or immurse most of their bodies in water to sleep in the wetter season.

IMG_2114.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I haven't seen any mosquitoes land on Sheldon yet, but every time we go out I do see deer flies landing on his head. I don't know if they will actually bite him or not, but I scare them away as fast as I see them.

ben awes

5 Year Member

I wouldn't think mosquitos would be a problem for any cold blooded creature. Seems like the mosquitos zero in on warm blooded creatures.

Uncle is looking good. How much does he weigh now? My little Leopard, Benawes, is doing well and growing like a weed. I can't remember if I ever told you that he's male, even with his aberrant scutes. I have him in with the two I got from Tom (male and female), but he's a little intimidated by the male, so hasn't tried his hand at breeding yet. But their pasture is very large, so it's not a problem having the two males together. They're never in the same area. Next time I see him I'll get a picture for you.
Hi Yvonne! thanks for the comments and happy 4th! I would love to see some photos of Benawes! I almost never get to see photos of the little ones my two produced. He was so blonde to start. I imagine that has evolved quite a bit. How old is he now? 5 or 6? I will look forward to further photos!

Uncle Bri is 22" about 70lbs. His growth has slowed dramatically over the past year, which is probably a good thing. He was almost 60lbs this time last summer and then he just put on the brakes. If he had kept up the same growth rate, he'd be well over 80lbs by now. He was gaining 2 1/2lbs a month. This past year it's been under 1lb / month. The good part is that it's given me more time to get his outdoor enclosure finished. I'm still not totally done, but it's nearly fully secure.

Olddog

5 Year Member
Florida

Mosquitos can carry West Nile Virus. It been a pathogen to humans and some species of birds. I am not aware of any proven tortoise cases of same but the West Nile Virus has been deadly to crocs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yvonne! thanks for the comments and happy 4th! I would love to see some photos of Benawes! I almost never get to see photos of the little ones my two produced. He was so blonde to start. I imagine that has evolved quite a bit. How old is he now? 5 or 6? I will look forward to further photos!

Uncle Bri is 22" about 70lbs. His growth has slowed dramatically over the past year, which is probably a good thing. He was almost 60lbs this time last summer and then he just put on the brakes. If he had kept up the same growth rate, he'd be well over 80lbs by now. He was gaining 2 1/2lbs a month. This past year it's been under 1lb / month. The good part is that it's given me more time to get his outdoor enclosure finished. I'm still not totally done, but it's nearly fully secure.

When I was walking around the yard this evening, "closing up shop," I saw Benawes and the 2010 SA male from Tom both together at the watering hole, but by the time I got back with my camera Benawes had already high tailed it into the shed. He's right next to a 16" cinderblock, so you can see appx. length. He's fairly smooth.

benawes 7-7-18 a.jpg benawes 7-7-18 b.jpg

ben awes

5 Year Member
Yvonne, he looks great.!Pretty smooth. Leopards are so hard to raise smooth. You’ve done a great job. Thanks for posting.