More baby questions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Anouk seems to be doing really well, especially for this only being her second day, she shows some good activity, by walking around, and she sleeps in different spots dug down, but what I am wondering is:

How much should she be eating? She will take a few bites, or eat like one leaf of something, and then go back to bed. She likes to try and taste the rocks in her enclosure, and I saw her attempt to nibble a piece of aspen (she spit it out) I have been putting a small pile in, in the morning, and in the afternoon.

How much cuttle bone is normal to consume? Because she really seems to like it. She's eaten some both yesterday, and today. There are tiny nibble marks all down one side of it.

How many times should I "wake her up" and set her in front of food? I think I did so three times today, and each time, after I walked away, she took some bites. Its like, she never just sits there and eats...just a nibble here and there. Which is what is stressing me, and making me want to put her by the plate. Is that a bad idea?

And in the morning, is it OK for me to wake her up, and put her under the lamp? She slept near the cooler side last night, all dug down in the aspen. I woke her up at 9:45, the lamp goes on at like, 7:00.

How often should I soak her? I did once in the morning, for like 5 mins, then she wanted out. But I haven't seen her drink since I got her, and I am worried about dehydration.

Some fun facts, she's almost 7 months old (on the 24th) and I weighed her yesterday, empty, at 51 grams.

I am just fussing, because of all the tragic baby stories we have had on the forums in the past couple of months...I don't want to leave her alone for 2 days, have her hardly eat, and then go south...but I also don't want to stress her.....arrgh! And here I thought I was completely ready! lol :p

Those with babies please help? Thanks!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
What are you feeding Meg? She's been getting Spring mix, Romaine, Dandelion (really Chicory) and Escarole.
As much cuttlebone as she wants :D
You can wake her up as much as you want :p either for basking or food. :D
I was watering every 2 days.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She's getting spring mix, and I bought a bunch of Kale as well, and was attempting to feed that chopped up w/ the spring mix. (we don't have as big a variety here as I'd like, though I do have broad leaf seed mix in the mail coming from Carolina pet supply) I think I am going to pick up a head of romaine, and mix some of that in as well. (all food is dusted w/ calcium and D3)

She's awake right now, walking around and hiding under things, and then walking around some more. I am going to put in fresh leaves, and see if she will eat a little more for me today.

ok--just added a little more spring mix, and she's eating again. She was really sniffing around, which made me think she was looking for food. I think she almost like, forgets where the plate is, and that's why she doesn't go back to it.

M

Maggie Cummings

If Danny was cutting up the leaves and making them smaller you need to do that too for her. I would feed a baby in the morning and evening...but there again, it's whatever Danny trained her to do...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And don't forget that little tortoises are prey. It might help her to stay in one place and eat longer if you had a piece of cardboard or something that you can cover the top of the habitat while she's eating. Not a permanent cover, just temp while she's eating.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'll try that tomorrow....and see if it helps! Thanks for the tip. I've been ripping the lettuce up too, making it smaller, but not tiny pieces. I think she misses her siblings alittle

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I was using Reptocal on the greens to and that can make a difference if your using something else Meg.
I was feeding her in the morning and thats it, but it usually was enough to last the day if anyone wanted to come back out and eat later.
I was cutting everything up, except for the spring mix. That made it easier to shake n' bake the greens with the reptocal.
She'll be begging in no time once she's settled in, she was here. :D

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I will definitely pick some up. My local pet smart carries it, and I have a coupon :) Hopefully, it will tickle her fancy! I am using a salt shaker to add it to her food, because I can better control the amount that I put on....I would really recommend that method. I was so proud when I thought of it! :) I'll keep updating on how she does in the morning.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg I know you mentioned you bought a lot of Kale remember Kale is a binder of calcium so you don't want to give that to her too often Danny can let you know if he used it or recommend how often you could feed it to her. I wouldn't use it but once a month with a little one. But I'm sure he will let you know his feelings. And I am sure it will take her a few days to settle in and know where her dish (food) is put every day. When I got mine from Danny Little Bit was only 11 grams and in about a week both her and Biggy had settled in and have been doing fine ever since not picky eaters at all. I love it when I talk to them and they come running :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I never fed any kale to her. I try to stay away from anything with even a medium level of oxalic acid with the hatchlings. I would try to stay away from kale. You can though feed collard greens twice a month.

Danny

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That's good to know...I didn't give her any that day anyways. Just springmix, because I figured, after such a tame response to food, I would stick with what she knew. She was eating today again (bought the reptocal) but not much...If I put her on the dish, she would take a few bites. But she did not go over there on her own....Had to wake her up again today (around 10 this time, wanted to see if she would get up on her own.) I'm too worried that she wont get up at all if I left her, that I am afraid to try.

Still no drinking when I soak her. She did eat more cuttle bone, which I find funny. Since she has a taste for that, but not for greens.

Going to try some mazuri in the morning.

M

Maggie Cummings

She's a new baby and they need special handling. Have i asked you if you are cutting up her food? I always do that for the new babies...Danny did you cut her food up? I'm wondering if she is not recognizing her food. Meg, are you feeding what Danny fed?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
yup, she's getting spring mix dusted with reptocal just like Danny was giving her...he said that he didn't cut it for her. From what I have seen of her eating, she does eat like a "big" tortoise: tearing off bites and wiping her face on her arm if need be.

I was tearing up the leaves a bit for her as well. She seems to prefer the green over the red lettuces in there. I'm putting a different waterdish in tomorrow as well. She has never gone near the one in there now, I think that ramp is what is putting her off.

I'm hoping that day three will yeild a better appetite. She seems to be getting the lay of the land...tonight, when I came home from work, at 10, I searched around in the aspen with my fingers for almost 5 mins before I found her...I almost had a heart attack! She's so tiny.....I almost just lose her in those 2 sq ft!

Its funny, she prefers to burrow rather then use the logs hides. Nigel always did too, and then when I got rid of the two bins connected design, all of the sudden, he LOVES his log. Sleeps in it all the time.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg what are your temps and what is your humidity in your little Anouks inclosure? I'm just being nosey. Is her hide a humid hide?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
temp on the hot side ins 99 RIGHT directly under the light, she hangs out where its like high 80's. Cool side is upper 70's. Humidity on the hot side is 30% and on the cool side its 55%. Danny did say that I didn't need a humid hide. But, this is my first baby, so just for that, I am working on getting a square flowerpot to make one (everything else I tried didn't work for me) but I don't know how much good it will do, because she seems to prefer the aspen over everything in there, except for that leaf!

she's eating this morning...alittle more than before. But how much should she eat in a sitting?

I can imagine that her little tummy is pretty small. Does she just get full and then need to walk away and digest for a minute? I'm picking up some romaine just to add to the spring mix today (Nigel should love that....he does appreciate his romaine) so I am hoping that will help her appetite. And I know it is good for hydration, because of the higher water content, I have not seen her drink yet.

I changed my tactics this morning, and waited until 10:15 to check on her, and she had already surfaced for the morning. She was in the same spot, but she was above ground. I also am going to soak her in about an hour, instead of right after I was waking her up, like I was doing. I am trying to see if subtle changes make a difference. and if she just doesn't LIKE the routine I was setting.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg sounds like you are being a good Anouk mommy. It should take her a few days to settle in. And I have found observing them is the one thing that has always paid off. Her tummy is really small my little one does not seem to eat enough to keep it going but it is gowing and putting on weight slowly just like I want it too. My little Little Bit will, eat, then bask, then walk around, then start all over again. She comes up about 10 min. after their light goes on. Basks then make her way to the food dish. If I put her in the food dish she will bask there then after about 15 min. begin to eat. She needs to warm up first.
Oh, and if I forgot to say; Congratulations on getting Anouk I really like her name. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Trevor likes to graze all day, going between basking and eating. He can eat a loose pile of greens about 2/3 the size of him! He has a huge appetite though. I wouldn't worry at all at this point if she's eating at least a little. She'll settle in soon. As long as your husbandry is good (sounds like it), she needs to settle in to want to start eating and exploring more. Trevor also wakes late in the morning and goes to bed in the afternoon--hatchlings sleep a lot. If you can at all have her wake up on her own and eat, I'd leave her alone. I don't wake up Trevor in the morning. If his food wasn't touched when I get home, I'll wake him up and have him eat. That's pretty rare though.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
UPDATE:

I woke her up today....she slept on the cool side and it was 10, and time for basking. But then I left her on her own till 11. And she actually walked over to her plate and ate some! I got some nice crunchy romaine yesterday, and I added that to the spring mix. She's still not eating as much as I would like, but I know that she's peed twice, no urates. And I found a little tortoise poop yesterday! I was so excited. I told everyone. They laughed at me :p

I am just happy that she is eating and digesting. And goodness, does that girl like to dig! It takes me several minutes to find her at night when I come home! (I like to know where she's sleeping)

Status
Not open for further replies.