Our New Golden Greek Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olympia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for the link . Olympia is improving a bit with her eating habits. I bought some Alfalfa hay and the ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food, which doesn't contain animal products (I read in many places that it is not so good for their development and shouldn't be used so often), and it is rich with minerals and some digestives bacteria (Lactobacillus Acidophilus and some others as well) to enrich her digestive flora.

Here is a link that i found on the web, maybe people already know this one, it is somewhat similar to the link you sent me:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/reptile/turtle.html

How old is your turtle? How long does it take them to reach maximal size? (I like that she is small, and she is so cute)

Michal

Perseus said:
Here's the link to a food list for Greeks (and others) that was posted in another part of the forum.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Foo...orts-DT-Marginated-Greeks-Russians-Sullys-etc

The key is variety, variety and more variety. Some items are better than others of course....but if you keep changing it up...you'll do fine!

My adult golden greek looks just like your baby. Olympia is a cutie!

-Kirsten

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
HI Kirsten,

Thanks for the link, I looked at it and it is somewhat similar to another source that i found on the net: http://www.exoticpetvet.net/reptile/turtle.html

Olympia is doing a bit better with her eating habits. I bought her some Alfalfa hay, which she likes and also the ZooMed Natural Grassland Tortoise food, which doesn't contain animal product ( in many cases i read that it is not good for their health and development and should be use very modestly). I also half cooked squash (boiled it a bit in water) because she likes it a lot but it was hard for her to bite. I still keep it hard enough so she can bite it. In on of the books I have they recommend not to give too much soft food because it can initiate the growth of the horny beak around the mouth. I don't know if this applies to all kind of turtles or just specific ones would love to hear more on the subject.

Michal

Perseus said:
Here's the link to a food list for Greeks (and others) that was posted in another part of the forum.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Foo...orts-DT-Marginated-Greeks-Russians-Sullys-etc

The key is variety, variety and more variety. Some items are better than others of course....but if you keep changing it up...you'll do fine!

My adult golden greek looks just like your baby. Olympia is a cutie!

-Kirsten

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for the link, I looked at it and it is somewhat similar to another source that i found on the net: http://www.exoticpetvet.net/reptile/turtle.html

Olympia is doing a bit better with her eating habits. I bought her some Alfalfa hay, which she likes and also the ZooMed Natural Grassland Tortoise food, which doesn't contain animal product ( in many cases i read that it is not good for their health and development and should be use very modestly). I also half cooked squash (boiled it a bit in water) because she likes it a lot but it was hard for her to bite. I still keep it hard enough so she can bite it. In on of the books I have they recommend not to give too much soft food because it can initiate the growth of the horny beak around the mouth. I don't know if this applies to all kind of turtles or just specific ones would love to hear more on the subject.

Michal

frogg3074

5 Year Member
Southern New Jersey
Olympia said:
Hi Ken,

We got our Golden Greek on September 8th, and she was 10-12 weeks old at that time. If you got yours around the same time, most likely that they are form the same litter. I confronted the person form the Turtle source about the bad condition of the turtle when she arrived, and of course he tied to put the blame on us, which was impossible because we couldn't do anything wrong within 48 hours that will bring her to this conditions. Plus, we took her immediately to the vet, where she gave us eye drops that contain some antibiotic (Gentamicin Sulfate), which i gave here every day in the morning. It really helped her, it reduced the swollen eye lid and the infection in the eye. You should try doing that as well (it is not expensive)
Good luck,
Michal

I got him/her a week ago today. His/her eye was never swollen...just had the boogies that one day. Today, his lights came on in the morning and he was out eating and walking around!! I think he just might be healthy(knock on wood) !! Also, how do you know your tort is a she? I though you couldnt tell when they are this young

Ken

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Well, we are not 100% sure that Olympia is a she, but the vet who checked her said that most likely it is a she, mainly according to the tail. Short tails indicates for female and long ones for male and right now it looks like it is relatively short, also, noticeable V-shaped notch below the tail in the plastron (I think this is for laying eggs). She also has small claws. But as I said, we are not 100% sure (see this link: http://www.petcaregt.com/Turtle/How-To-Identify-Turtles.html

Michal

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Here are some new pictures of Olympia. She is doing very well now. She is active and eating well and more open tom different kind of food (as you can see).

We now have her exactly one month, where she gain weight (from 37g to 41gr is it a good rate?) but I am not sure if she grew by size. When she arrived I measured the carapace from head to tail and it was 6.7 cm and I measured it again and it is the same, so my questions are:
1. I am not sure if this is the right way to measure- any suggestions on the subject?
2. what is the growth rate of golden Greeks?
3. when do they reach their maximal size and what is the maximal size in captivity?

Many thanks,
Michal

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 52

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
In addition to the previous questions that I had, I would also like to ask if anyone can recommend a plant that we can use in the habitat? Until now I use to buy the out grass in a small pot and Olympia use to hide below the leaves. But these pots don't hold for long, so I need something more permanent, any suggestions? Also, if someone can comment on my previous questions that will be great.

Many thanks,
Michal

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
I found some answers to my questions regarding the growth rate in the sexual maturity thread if someone has more info, I will be happy to learn more about golden Greeks.
Thanks
Michal

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
I sprouted some mug beans in a pot and placed it in the enclosure. It seems that Olympia is very found of it and not only that she is hiding beneath it, she also like to eat is. Are bean sprouts good for her?????

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Help!

Te weigh Olympia today and her weight was 50g. Last week she was 46g, she gained 4g in one week. On that week we placed the mug beans sprouts in her enclosure and she liked it, we are not sure if this is good for her. From what we read, bean sprouts are good for tortoises but may be it is not? It seems that she gain weight form it. Usually she gains 1g/week. Can anyone comment on this????????

Thansk,
Michal

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
Beans in general aren't great for Greeks, from what I've read, because of the protein content.

Any plant that they can eat can be kept in the enclosure. If you buy a slow-growing plant like a succulent don't put it in the enclosure until only new growth shows from when you bought it - this flushes out pesticides and fertilizers a nursery used to grow it. Fairly common in house plants you can buy. I keep wild plants like violet, plantain, dandelion and clover in with my torts.

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes it helps a lot. Many thanks.

We took the bean sprouts out and placed wheat grass that i mad as well. She doesn't eat form it so much but she likes to hide there and sometime to bite a bit. I will search for other house plants as you recommended.

Michal

greeks said:
Beans in general aren't great for Greeks, from what I've read, because of the protein content.

Any plant that they can eat can be kept in the enclosure. If you buy a slow-growing plant like a succulent don't put it in the enclosure until only new growth shows from when you bought it - this flushes out pesticides and fertilizers a nursery used to grow it. Fairly common in house plants you can buy. I keep wild plants like violet, plantain, dandelion and clover in with my torts.

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
I have been reading about tortoise growth and couldn't find a common opinion on the subject. I don't know what is good or bad growth rate for a Greek. For example, Olympia, which was sick when we got her, gained 1 g a week and didn't grow in size. At that time, we considered it good because she gained some weight. In the past week, she gained 3g in a week and her width became 7.8 cm and it used to be 7 cm, her length stayed the same, 6.7 cm. Is this good or bad is it too fast or too slow? How can I know what is a good growth rate and how can i make sure that I am not subjecting her to a diseases? Can someone comment on this subject?

Many thanks,
Michal

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
Watch Olympia's length to weight ratio (rather than just a growth rate). Since she is young and under 100g, you can use the Jackson ratio for hatchlings. Once she grows, you can use the Hailey ratio for 100+g, or the Jackson ratio for 90+g. (These references come from Danny - THANKS!)

Charts showing the Jackson ratio can be found here:
http://www.tinytortoises.co.uk/jackson ratio charts.html
Or you can use the handy calculator for Jackson:
http://www.tinytortoises.co.uk/healthy growth.html

Or Hailey guide:
http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm
And calculator:
http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/calc.htm

Make sure you measure her correctly! Front edge to back edge flat along the floor and don't include her head or tail. There is a permanent post about measuring on TFO. Hailey also mentions how to do it.

I recommend weighing at the same time consistently since a little one's weight can fluctuate pretty dramatically depending on if they just ate, or drank or pooped, etc.

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
yest it helps, thanks a lot. I did read about the Jackson ratio and saw the graph. I was not sure if it is normal to gain suddenly 3-5g a week and then I found about "growth sprouts or growth spurt" and if I understand it right they can make a jump in their growth, and I think, but not sure, that that may be the case because she does look a big bigger than before. For now we took the bean sprouts a way and we will give it 1-2 times a week and I will try to sprouts other green leaves that are low in proteins.
Currently she is 18weeks old, 48g and 6.5cm long and 4cm wide (according to the correct measurement). Is she too small?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Welcome to the forum. I dont keep greeks and dont know much about them, but can I just throw this out there? I hope no one is using sealed or treated wood in their enclosures - aloha

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
My enclosures are plastic :D And I buy aspen that is free of oils and resins.

As for the weight gain, I don't think it is unusual for hatchlings to jump around (again, if you feed her and then weigh her before she has pooped, she'll weigh more than if you wait until she poops....that sort of thing). You need only be concerned if she is bloated and overweight or losing weight rapidly/underweight as both of these could be major health issues. Since you should not be hibernating her, if she's a little over or a little under, but still generally healthy, I think she's fine. Just weigh her regularly and check against the ratios.

My two baby girls are 14 weeks and 52mm. Olympia doesn't sound too small to me ;)

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Hi there,

It is becoming cold now in Maryland and I have a question regarding the enclosure of our Olympia. We are using cypress mulch and on top of it wet sphagnum moss. Under the heating lamp the wet moss is nice and cozy, but around it is colder. I am not sure that she likes it. I see her more active than before, which in general it is good, but I am wondering if it is not too cold for her. Can anyone comment on this subject?

Thanks,
Michal

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
Winter is tough in the northeast (I live in New England)! You essentially want to keep the temperatures the same - 95+ in the basking spot and no cooler than 75 or 80 during the day. Her nighttime temps should not drop below 60. I keep my thermostat at 65 but still supplment my tortoise enclosures with ceramic heat emitters on dimmer for the nights.

Humidity is an even bigger challenge when the air is drier too. You could try a humidifier in the room you keep her. I keep larger water dishes for them in the winter that can actively evaporate and keep water-heavy plants to hold water without having to flood the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.