Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I haven't been following this thread because I don't know much about Greek tortoises, but I finally saw Olympia's (Michal's) pictures this a.m. and I think I see what might be causing the eye problem. It looks to me as if one of those lights is the compact fluorescent bulb. That's the bulb that is spiral shaped. Those bulbs are very hard on baby tortoise's eyes, and should not be used with them.

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Many thanks for your suggestions. We started using humidifier near the enclosure to keep the humidity up, and it is helping a lot. the temp in the house is around 70F most of the day so the temp in the enclosure doesn't drop lower than 70F, it stays around 78-80F and 95+ at the heating spot.

About the fluorescent bulb, I didn't know that this can cause problems to baby's eyes, what do you recommend to use instead?

Michal

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
The coiled CF bulbs are fairly new so they haven't been well tested and developed like the others. I've come across some cases of the bulbs causing eye damage in reptiles and if they are directed oddly they have the potential to cause skin problems, etc. A couple options you have to replace it is either a Mercury Vapor bulb or tube fluorescent for the UVB. MVB bulbs are also UVA and hot so you wouldn't also need the UVA basking bulb. MVB are more expensive than the other bulbs (arguably because they are better ad/or all-in-one) and also generally higher wattage. I personally use a UVA basking bulb, a tube fluorescent UVB and a ceramic heat emitter for each enclosure. If you use MVB be especially certain your fixtures are both ceramic and rated for the high wattage :cool:

You might want to look at some of the internet suppliers many of the TFO keepers use for the expensive bulbs - you can save a lot over going to a pet store.

TedNY

5 Year Member
New York
Hello,
lovely tortoise and glad she is doing better. What is the pot grass you got ? also what is the yellow food that she is devouring?
Thank you

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
The pot grass is a mix of grains that I am growing at home. I buy the seeds as a mix for planting. Now I am trying form the grains we eat, such as millet and barley. From time to time I also make mung beans, which is very easy to sprout. The problem is that she REALLY likes it and I give it to her in moderate amount because it is a bit high in protein.

The yellow food is squash, half boiled, so she could bite it, otherwise it is too hard for her. She likes it very much as well, but I read that it is not so good to give it too often because it can support warms. So one in 7-10 days i give her a small piece.

It is very interesting that Olympia doesn't like any berries. I tried different kind, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. She doesn't like any of them. But she likes very much apples, watermelon and Clementine as fruits. I usually give her once a week some fruits. She does love carrot, cucumber and green beans and radicchio as vegetables, which I provide 3 times a week. The only thing I didn't try yet is flowers, I am afraid to buy a plant that may grew on fertilizers and in our area most of it being sprayed with pesticides. So I would like to plan some, but need to wait for the spring, unless you have any suggestions on the subject???

Thanks,
Michal

Olympia

5 Year Member
Maryland
Hi,
Olympia is doing very well for now. She grew very smoothly and nicely. She weigh 95gr and very active. Though, lately, I noticed that her urine is a bit darker than the usual. Usually, it is clear with some white sedimentation form time to time. But now, I can really see when she urinates and it is a bit more yellowish. Does any one can comment about it and advice what should we do?

Many thanks,
Michal

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Olympia said:
Hi,
Olympia is doing very well for now. She grew very smoothly and nicely. She weigh 95gr and very active. Though, lately, I noticed that her urine is a bit darker than the usual. Usually, it is clear with some white sedimentation form time to time. But now, I can really see when she urinates and it is a bit more yellowish. Does any one can comment about it and advice what should we do?

Many thanks,
Michal

Hi
I am currently researching Golden Greeks
They need different care to the Ibera Greeks so they seem to generally need higher temps and low humidity as compared to the Greek types in Europe who we kept just like the Hermans and were very tough. The Ibera types we hibernate and the golds I think maybe best not as its almost impossible to know for sure of their true origin.

The following article seems to address this type very well
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

Hope that helps and hoping your tortoise is thriving now

Louise

There was an article in a Reptile magazine too specifically on the Golden variety-REPTILES July 2009 Tortoise Issue
The article is called GOOD AS GOLD by Douglas Dix (Deer Fern Farms)

Interesting reading

Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.