Missing scales on face

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
She's housed alone, but she looks like someone's been eating her face (so to speak). Daily soaks. Eats fine, although the past two days eating has been on a decline. Saturday or Sunday (can't remember) I cleaned enclosure and refilled with dirt from outside and moss (not from outside). The dirt is clean- no pesticides or herbicides, etc. same dirt pile I used to fill in holes and gaps in my outdoor pen. Remaining scales are not loose or appear to be flaking off. Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402536128.958604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402536141.021117.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm wondering if something she ate and had stuck on her face irritated. Something with a lot of acid in it like tomatoes? I think squash is mild, but obviously something has irritated that part of her face, and this is what comes to mind.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I can't remember giving her anything but lettuces, grasses and mazuri. I did give her two raspberries; she may have eaten one. I can't remember. I would have thought the soaks would help clean off her face, though.

She was outside today munching on grass.

I cleaned out her enclosure while she was outside, but ended up setting up a new one. I hand cut a ton of grass and soaked and rinsed it all twice, just in case. I'm using that as bedding, now. I figure I would switch out the grass clippings every other day.