Location (City and/or State)
Central PA
Hi! I have a 2 year old Greek/Mediterranean Spur-thighed tortoise. I have had her for a little over a year and she has been in good health. Recently I built a large, 8ftx3.5ft outdoor terrarium and she loves being out there but I noticed some odd behaviors. Once I saw her eating the dirt and a few times she has been eating grass. The grass I think is fine but why is she eating dirt. Google says its because she has a vitamin deficiency and I have been giving her calcium regularly. I've tried giving her liquid drops no way she'll take it except...she bites cottonballs found out i guess she is being territorial or thinks they're yummy XD but anyway would it be fine trying to put the liquid on that and having her bite the cottonball or will it hurt her gi tract. Another thing is a few of her scales on her front legs are loose, still completely attached. Is that natural growth or injury?

Central PA
also she is very very picky she wont eat much more than lettuce, kale, and carrots. She also doesnt drink too often I try to soak her in a little tub a few times a week but how often should she be drinking. Her shell isnt pyramiding so i dont think she is dehydrated but just curiuos

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Tortoises do shed as they grow, similar to snakes and frogs. Since she is just two years old, it's entirely possible that she is shedding normally. Pictures would be helpful if you want to be sure.

As for eating dirt, maybe she's just weird. Or maybe there is something in the dirt there that smells or tastes nice. It is possible that she could develop problems if she eats enough of it that she can't poop properly so it is worth monitoring.

Cotton balls are not a good idea. They will definitely cause digestive problems. Just put the supplement drops on her food.

As far as drinking water, just make sure she has access to clean water all of the time and she'll drink when she needs to.

Central PA
Tortoises do shed as they grow, similar to snakes and frogs. Since she is just two years old, it's entirely possible that she is shedding normally. Pictures would be helpful if you want to be sure.

As for eating dirt, maybe she's just weird. Or maybe there is something in the dirt there that smells or tastes nice. It is possible that she could develop problems if she eats enough of it that she can't poop properly so it is worth monitoring.

Cotton balls are not a good idea. They will definitely cause digestive problems. Just put the supplement drops on her food.

As far as drinking water, just make sure she has access to clean water all of the time and she'll drink when she needs to.
okay thanks! since she is probably the pickiest tortoise on earth i cant put it on her food but i guess i'll explore other options

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Do you ever feed her Mazuri pellets (or other similar stuff)? If so, put the supplement drops in the water that you soak the pellets in. She will be too busy inhaling the Mazuri and won't even notice it is there.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She needs a proper diet for that species. You are the boss here, not her. Give her a generous mix of the correct food every morning and leave her to it. It may take a while but she will come around, as long as you are also ensuring that the other conditions of care, that is, temperature, lighting, humidity and substrate are correct.