milo from south africa

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Belliana is one of the 4 species of hingebacks native to South Africa. If you can get a really good picture of it's beak then I would be 100% positive. Sometimes the species can intergrade with one another and make it difficult to ID. But so far it appears Belliana (Bells hingeback)

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Hello from another SA, but living here in Amerika. It is illegal to own any native species. You should contact your local wildlife cintrol people and have them take it. But it is nice of you wanting to help take care if the tort.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'd guess a male as well, look at that tail!
I'd guess further it's not from the wild, all that recent clean growth looks like an escaped pet. And at CourtneyG suggested, not a legal pet, so a past owner might not be so forth coming? There are many local, RSA, sources of care info as well as here on TFO. Great looking animal. Please be safe, I wouldn't want to hear about a visit from your local legal authorities.

faade

5 Year Member
Yeah.i wouldn't want them visiting either. He is asleep now so I will get the beek pic tomorrow.

puffy137

South coast of kzn. Love at first sight. I hope I can now find extensive care info to be able to look after him. Is everyone in agreement on species. There were earlier suggestions of hinge back?
I expect laws about tortoises in SA differ from laws elsewhere, Good luck its a lovely healthy looking tortoise.

faade

5 Year Member
Is it possible to tell the age of my tortoise? Can he be kept outside all the time or should he brought in when it rains or at night?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Not really. Would be just a guess at best. You are in there natural range. So outside would be ok. But your winter is still kinda lingering yes? I'd get him established first before introducing him into a new territory like outside.

faade

5 Year Member
Weather is undecided what season it wants to be. Been really cold then really hot on the same week.

faade

5 Year Member
Haven't checked. What I've heard is that not supposed to be owned. I'm just assisting it :) fortune favours the brave

faade

5 Year Member
Any suggestions for an outdoor protective enclosure for this beautiful tort?

faade

5 Year Member
Hi guys. I let him into my yard yesterday to roam about and can't find him. Any tips on luring him out?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi guys. I let him into my yard yesterday to roam about and can't find him. Any tips on luring him out?

My guess is he got out the same way he came in.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Tort lost in the yard is so common. It only takes takes eyes off for a moment and they can be gone. Unlikely you'll lure him out with anything. It may be you'll see him someday the same way you found him the first time.

puffy137

I always feed my herd every morning. One day after one male , Ceasar had been more obstreperous than usual I moved him to the lawn, Next morning, panic stations , I couldn't find him, So I placed his favourite food near where I had left him , I watched from a distance. About one hour later he emerged from beneath some foliage that is growing up the side of a palm tree, ' Gotcha' I cried with glee! But he didn't learn his lesson , & his main squeeze seemed glad to have him back in his enclosure.:rolleyes:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well is the backyard sealed with boards, bricks or anything at the base of the perimeter to deny him from escaping? If not he's a goner.

faade

5 Year Member
Thanks to all. Still haven't found him but we haven't lost hope yet.