new from south africa, questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilas

5 Year Member
Hi!
I live in a nature reserve in south africa. I live in a rocky area of veldt and succulents. While landscaping a bit, I found a lovely tortoise in the veldt.

I am considering making a large pen for him, and keeping him (but in his natural environment) - anyone want to help me out with if this is a good or bad idea? When possible, I'll post pics to try to ID him, he's a uniform tan colour. I'd want to find out his exact requirements. I mean, he's clearly got food, no idea how he gets water up here. Its very dry. I'd need to make him a pond for the upcoming dry season.

Thoughts? Flames?

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
wow wut a interesting place to live,i bet theres numerous turtle and tortoise species around you,,,id give him anice soak asap.that should help him out.

Tortoise-Luke

5 Year Member
Welcome, personally i would think he'd be rather of in the wild and you could allways get one if you're interested from a breeder.
It's your choice just keep in mind it's lived in the wild all it's life and you'd be locking him up no matter the size of the enclosure.

vilas

5 Year Member
hi!
Well, the enclosure would end up being about 3 acres or so - mostly veldt and bush and rock - maybe 400 sq ft of garden and lawn. There's a fence going up soon to keep game out - maybe my philosophy will just be that if he stays, he gets a name and a water bowl.
He's not left for a few days, I think this is his home.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi and Welcome! What an amazing place to live! I would love to see pictures!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn't pen him up. I would not mind seeing pictures of your property and the tortoise of coarse! I know I'm not the only one.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yes pics:) torts will hold their bladder until they have water to replace what they loose. You can use a large plant saucer if you have one. Since he is wild has he peed when you pick him up? They will sometimes do that when scared and then can die if they don't get water to replace it. It would be a good idea to give him a place to hide and some shade. Welcome to TFO and looking forward to pics soon:)

vilas

5 Year Member
Yes, he peed when I first came across him! I've put water near him. He doesn't seem so hot on going anywhere, though he is free to.

I may then just move him up to the hill, maybe he shouldn't be penned. I am fencing in his home, though, so I need to find a suitable replacement. Are they territorial?

There are some photos - old ones, actually of my uncles house down the hill, where I live half the year - at http://pics.livejournal.com/vilasy/gallery/0000x18f?page=1

I've built a house up top. It's a lovely spot, with all kinds of good creatures. Wildebeest and Kudu, caracal and porcupines. The snakes here are awesome. I grew up in Boston, so even after 6 years here, I can't get over how cool the creatures are.

If you want to see pics from some of my trips around africa, that link has some - just go "up to gallery list" - I'm a bush pilot, so I get around a bit. :)

Thanks for all of the advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Vilas:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

There may be laws against taking wild tortoises, you probably should check. But if you're making a fence and he just happens to be inside the fence, oh well. :p But post a picture so we can see what kind of tortoise it is. I think there are some endangered and threatened tortoises living in South Africa.

Some tortoises will only drink running water. Try laying a hose near the tortoise with the water trickling out.

vilas

5 Year Member
Can't attach a photo yet - file size too big and I only have my phone. :-(

He's still just chilling in my garden, just off in the bush.

I hope he decides to keep us. The patch of bush he's in is the only patch of scrub in a sea of grasslands, he probably likes the habitat.

Bit of a conundrum, then, will removing him from his habitat after fencing do him more harm or good? Do these guys roam, or prefer a small patch that meets their needs?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You probably live in the most interesting place in the world. Please try and post some pictures of the tortoise and where you live. It must be beautiful.

vilas

5 Year Member
Oh, and I'm Charlotte. I'm a bush pilot, lodge manager, nature reserve committee member, caterer, birdwatcher, and that mad chick who walks around in a nightgown in the veldt, picking wildflowers! I have two tiny dogs and two kittens (blind, so indoors) here, three more dogs and three more cats down the hill, and a rescued horse.

My ambition in life is to see a pangolin in the wild.

emysemys said:
Hi Vilas:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

There may be laws against taking wild tortoises, you probably should check. But if you're making a fence and he just happens to be inside the fence, oh well. :p But post a picture so we can see what kind of tortoise it is. I think there are some endangered and threatened tortoises living in South Africa.

Some tortoises will only drink running water. Try laying a hose near the tortoise with the water trickling out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Charlotte! How lucky you are.

I'm in partnership with a fellow in Philadelphia on all my turtles and tortoises. A couple years ago he and a friend took their vacation in SA to look for tortoises in the wild. He brought back pictures which included shots of the nature reserve and lodge. I'm wondering if its the same one as yours. I hope you're able to get pictures up for us when you get on your computer!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
From the description my guess is a Bowsprit or Angulated Tortoise (Chersina angulata) or if truly uniformly brown and small (< 10 cm), possibly one of the padlopers (Homopus signatus ssp.).

In any case, something most of us would never see in real life (even in captivity). Both species mentioned are territorial and generally don't range very far. They get most of their water from morning dew. Both have interesting methods of diverting the dew from their carapaces into their mouths.

I would say that a 3 acre home range would be more than sufficient provided there is ample food and shelter. I would also recommend against moving it as that will just make its walk home longer!

All of the South African torts are protected in one fashion or another but I would consider myself fortunate if a native tort were to take residence on my property.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hi Charlotte! Bush pilot? That would be the job of a lifetime! I had considered taking a job with Elephant Back Safaris back in the late-90s...but Bush pilot...WOW! We had a pangolin at the San Diego Zoo (Wild Animal Park, to be more precise)...and yes! They would be cool to see in the wild! I've always thought the same thing about fossas! Post some pix of the little guy if (and when) you can! I would not think that there would be a problem fencing him off if he were afforded the full advantages of his biome...just don't physically remove him;)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
WOW

Hope you get active here on the forum. Many of us would love to talk your ears off about where you live. Considering your location there's also a chance you have a leopard tortoise, how large is it?

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.