Newbie Tortoise owner from South Africa

marsbeetle

Hi Guys,

Another newbie from South Africa here.

I recently moved into a house and discovered there were two little tortoises in my garden. I have no idea what type or sex they are but will take some decent photo's as soon as the weather clears up. The previous owner was a pensioner and when I asked him about the tortoises he didn't seem to have a clue either but just said he never fed them or anything and they live off the garden.

Here is a cell pic of the one. I am a little worried about the white markings on him/her which is why I started to investigate and came across this forum. I will take some better photo's later. The white stuff in the grass is bird poo.

t1.jpg

Any idea's ?

Thanks.

Nelis

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise might be a Chersina angulata - but I'm really not the one to believe. I'm not an expert on the SA tortoises. The white on his shell are scrapes made by canine teeth...dog or any other type of wildlife in your area.

Welcome to the Forum, Nelis!!

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes you've got chersina angulata. The only tortoise in southafrica which has this colour too is kinixys lobatsiana but they're not so high like this one. Where are you located in SA?

Yashil Ghazi

5 Year Member
Hey there.

Welcome to the forum.

I dont know much about Angulates , but im sure someone who does will reply soon.

It looks like you have some kind of animal hurt the shell of your tort.
I would bring them in at night . Mongoose and other wildlife are known to give torts a hard time.

All the best

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Hello! Welcome to the Tort forum. I am also a SA, but live here in the states. I am sure you understand the laws that you cannot keep the tort as a pet.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Thank you for the photo nice looking tort but it probably love a soak . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

marsbeetle

Thanks Guys.

I live in Cape Town and as mentioned the tortoises are not really pets since they can come and go as they please and they are not dependant on me. Will investigate the law further just as a precaution.

When the sun shines they sometimes come crawling out of the foliage on to my patio and like to soak up the sun but other than that I hardly ever see them. The other one I've seen is of a different type from what I can see but will send in a photo when next I see him/her.

Cheers,
Nelis

marsbeetle

Here is a photo of the other little guy/girl. Come to think of it they are probably both Angulate Tortoises, one just has a lighter coloured shell ?

t3.jpg

I have made enquiries about getting a permit for them.

Nelis