Mice as a protein source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, AL
So having done a little poking around with the search function I have seen this topic has come up before and is relatively controversial. Controversial might not be the right word but it seems to make people... squeamish.

So I have 3 snakes. I am in a situation at the moment where I have to buy feeder mice/rats (only f/t, I never feed live) in quantities that just don't match up with the numbers I have easily and storage is a no go. While normally the snakes will take care of any extras, or the monitor will help with small stuff occasionally (surprisingly picky about his food items), I have found that Flower the redfoot is a garbage can if there is a an extra fuzzy or hopper. She will generally eat the majority of the mouse and Rose the cherryhead might deal with the rest. While Flower gets real excited about a mouse, Rose is more "meh". Mind you this is rare that they get a mouse, maybe once or twice a month.

I know pinkies are ok as an occasional feeder but are high in fat. How about the larger mice? I would think they are better, lower fat higher calcium, than pinks but I'm not sure. I would also think this is better than the cat food I see mentioned elsewhere as this is a complete animal with all that goes along with that.

I do know that afterwards the tortoise's "production" goes down and the poo is much more white (I assume from fur and unabsorbed calcium), but that after a few days everything is back to normal and their appetite seems to increase significantly.

Thoughts? Comments?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I dont know what size redfoots you have which may make a difference in this. I will feed my large adults mice during the breeding season and they just go nuts over them! I do have one male that refuses to touch it, but the others go hog wild over the mice.

If your redfoots are small I would recommed pinkies rather than the larger ones, but there are other good alternatives for them such as boiled eggs or boiled chicken.

What you described about the white poo is not very normal. I had this happen once and it was more like direrhea. I believe this occurs when they are feed too much protein.

When feeding the larger dead mice to my adults I give them mice once or twice a week but only during the breeding season. The reason behind this is exactly what you were saying about the calcium. The calcium is good for the females in egg developement and it just keeps the males happy, heathy, and active (if you know wat I mean ;).

After the breeding season i then just feed them either boiled eggs or chicken and only about once every week or two in less moderation. Another thing to consider is that if a redfoot came across a dead mouse out in the wild he would more than likely eat it as they are advatageous eaters.

People generally have different opinions on this, so you will get some mixed answers. What I have told you works for me and has worked very well so far.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i have given my box turtles pinkies & they love 'em. Note, i don't do it on a regular basis, usually once or twice during nesting season & that's about it.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
When I say white, what I should say is more gray than the usual brown/green. Both of mine are small (5-6" and 3-4" respectively). That being said the larger would eat a pinky whole if I let it, but it will eat almost all of a hopper mouse. The little one as mentioned doesn't show much interest and generally won't touch a whole pinky. When it smells blood is when it tends to start to eat a little.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hoppers and older are definitely better options if your torts are big or hungry enough to tackle them. Pinkies and fuzzies, although almost always well enjoyed, are indeed a bit fatty for regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.