Mercury vapor

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
Lowe's has mercury vapor lights on sale for 10.00. Are they all the same? Does it have to say for reptiles on it?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
'Regular' mercury vapor bulbs do not emit UVB, so if that's why you want one it'll have to be a reptile bulb.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
All MVB's are not the same. Those are probably for area illumination.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
'Regular' mercury vapor bulbs do not emit UVB, so if that's why you want one it'll have to be a reptile bulb.

Actually, they do. All mercury vapor lamps generate UV in most of the range. They do not necessarily have the filter in place to selectively transmit the desired spectra - that is the problem.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Actually, they do. All mercury vapor lamps generate UV in most of the range. They do not necessarily have the filter in place to selectively transmit the desired spectra - that is the problem.

I think most are designed to block uvb/uvc as a safety feature.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I think most are designed to block uvb/uvc as a safety feature.

To some extent, yes. They still have warnings not to allow exposure for longer than a few minutes - bear in mind these are usually mounted many feet from the target of the illumination.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I found the zoo med power sun on Amazon last month for $39 now I can't find them for less than $50. My local rep store has them for $80. It would be nice to find a cheaper alternative.