Mercury Vapor Bulb?

Gab5150

Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
Hey guys. I am shopping out for a mercury vapor bulb for my little guy and I was wondering if it matters at all which MVB I get? Does it have to be the Zoo Med Power Sun or can I pick up a bulb from Home Depot and it serve the same purpose?
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Home Depot ones will not have uvb. You do need to get one for reptiles, just not the coil type.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the quick response! And we are absolutely certain that the Zoo Med MVB's don't cause any eye issues right?
Correct, as long as you do not put it too close. There is a recommended distance on the packaging. I don't remember hearing of any problems with the bulb too close, but I would imagin any bulb being too close could cuse damage.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Thanks for the quick response! And we are absolutely certain that the Zoo Med MVB's don't cause any eye issues right?

No one can be absolutely certain. All types of bulbs have been known to cause problems. Which is why using UV meters to check bulbs is important.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with J. While I've never seen a MVB cause a problem, there is no absolute guarantee of certainty with any product.

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Greetings-

Just an FYI about what is now available in the US and Canada-

ARCADIA! OH yea!

Arcadia's Mercury Vapor bulbs are an excellent choice with a proven SAFE track record for 30+ years in Europe.

They are now available in the US--
and they are in 240 volt.

This means the run on more "juice" !!

And they need an converter (usually costs 25.00 - 40.00) -- but the bulbs themselves cost the same OR LESS than any other bulb... so can work out to be a moot point cost-wise.

They also come in an 80w version that is perfect for small set ups w/ baby tortoises.

(A reliable 80w CAN NOT be made in a 110v merc vapor bulb due to the issues with voltage.)

And... the can be used in conjunction with Arcadia's fantastic HO T5 bulbs.

I have recently created some zoo lighting applications using both to light enclosures 6 feet x 10 feet at perfect UV levels. :D

And "lux" levels, because what many people do not understand is that--

The BRIGHTNESS of the environment and the QUALITY (full spectrum & kelvin color temp.) of the light is AS IMPORTANT AS UV A and UV B content of the light.

***Think S.A.D.***

Yep, that's right, Seasonal Affective Disorder.

ARE YOUR TORTOISES SAD?

Depression, listlessness, poor color, anorexia, low hormonal levels and added cage stress - just to name a few things --

These are what 80 - 90% of ALL pet turtles and tortoises SUFFER FROM in the US and Canada --
due to BAD - VERY BAD Lighting that plagues keepers. :oops::oops:

it is time to LIGHT THEM RIGHT! :<3:

Thank you!
Todd Goode

feel free o e-mail me at [email protected] if folks have any specific lighting questions.
I have been using mercury vapor lamps and UV over tortoises (and all reptiles) since 1978...
so I am happy to help share 36 years experience to help everyone.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I agree with J. While I've never seen a MVB cause a problem

It's possible for any reptile UV bulb to have manufacturing defects, even for mercury vapor bulbs. For example, the highly regarded UV Guide UK website mentions a problem with ReptileUV MegaRay, T-Rex Active UV Heat Flood and Komodo UV-Sun mercury vapor lamps produced after October 2009. Only certain batches of these bulbs were defective, not all.

Source: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/westronrecallspring2010.htm

Quote from that page: "We have been informed by all three companies that a certain consignment of glass used by Westron to manufacture their mercury vapour lamps has been found to be of an unusually clear type, allowing abnormally short-wavelength UVB to pass through. (Normally the glass used for these lamps absorbs this.) This short-wavelength UVB greatly increases the risk of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis, especially if the reptile is close to the minimum recommended distance to the lamp."

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I just got that arcadia one todd posted about and could not be happier.