Mercury Vapor?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I don’t care for them. If you mount them close enough to get proper UVB levels, the basking area will generally get too hot. Also, the UVB output is nil after 6 months, if the bulb even lasts that long.

There are several instances we have seen on the forum where larger sulcatas can be severely burned trying to warm up under spot basking lamps, because the basking spot they produce is too narrow and intense.

Better to use a T5 UVB light and a more diffuse heat source (radiant heat panels being the best option).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello everyone. I'm not using it anymore, but at one point I used a mercury vapor bulb for my sulcata. What are your opinions on these?
They are temperamental, fragile, expensive, some of them stop producing any UV in a 3 months, and they tend to cause pyramiding.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Hello everyone. I'm not using it anymore, but at one point I used a mercury vapor bulb for my sulcata. What are your opinions on these?
I’m a bit confused...at 5:56 today you recommended the use of an MVB to a brand new member with a rescue who joined yesterday, and now you say that you no longer use them. Why would you recommend something that you wouldn’t use yourself? Especially since it is contraindicated in the Forum’s highly recommended/curated care sheet which was already posted for them?

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I’m a bit confused...at 5:56 today you recommended the use of an MVB to a brand new member with a rescue who joined yesterday, and now you say that you no longer use them. Why would you recommend something that you wouldn’t use yourself? Especially since it is contraindicated in the Forum’s highly recommended/curated care sheet which was already posted for them?
I do not use them because I do not have a need for it anymore. She is moving into her improved greenhouse thingy soon. I am not sure if I saw the part of the care sheet mentioning them. I am checking right now. Also, thank you guys for the info

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They is no consistency with these from bulb to bulb

Some produce wildly high levels of UVB. Some almost none.
They produce high heat in a relatively small area for the actual light that they produce.
Plus they're expensive and they often don't last very long.
They are often advertised as the "DO IT ALL" bulbs. But they do nothing very well.
They don't belong in the hobby.
Save your money.