Meet DuDu (one of three) short term RF male

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
DuDu is loved by a family here in south Florida that is currently unable to care for him and I've agreed to foster him for up to 6 months.
He's a Northern boy. And that makes three males and four enclosures at the moment.
I'm at full capacity right now.
DuDu came with two other RF. Both Cherryhead. One male and one female. They're also short term fosters. But those may become long term. We'll see. DuDu is the star.
I've never before agreed to take in three RF at a time. And especially not multiple males.
Its been a rough few days.
Yes. That section of rotten wood has been replaced.
(The smaller Cherryhead male busted through there like the KOOLAID man)

Attachments

• 20230622_144324.jpg
    20230622_144324.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah, right. . . remind us again in SEVEN months about your SIX month foster job. I still have Chasem, a leopard I agreed to care for during the summer while his owner @ChaseM moved. . . that was three or four summers ago.
I would then find DUDU a great home where he would be the center of attention. Because I already have a long term male. And I'd possibly keep the CHERRY pair and start a new colony

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
DuDu and his two cousins have settled in nicely.
It sure seems like it's been a very long time already. But it's more like just 6 weeks!
Julio. My resident male is still unhappy about his smaller peice of property. But I'll make it up to him later.
After DuDu (and friends) leave, maybe I'll just take down the inner walls of the enclosure and give him the extra 60 or so square feet. And the partitioned off area of his original enclosure. Currently occupied by the CHERRYHEAD female.
Its a mess out there. And those torts can sure eat a lot.
I'll keep posting here every now and then and we'll see what happens in November. When the 6 months are up.
I've still got my aquaculture projects going on.
I have very little extra space.

Attachments

• 20230711_125138.jpg
    20230711_125138.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230711_125124.jpg
    20230711_125124.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was feeding everyone today. And I stepped on an egg!!
Damn.
The little Cherryhead laid it. And it's as large as a chicken egg.
I'll be on the lookout for more. The owners had the male and female living together.
Good luck and best hopes and prayers you can balance on a tight rope. And do both. Work and tort eggs. I'm betting you can.🤗🙏

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good luck and best hopes and prayers you can balance on a tight rope. And do both. Work and tort eggs. I'm betting you can.🤗🙏
Work isn't that difficult. But unfortunately that old sciatica thing that I've had operations to "fix", twice isn't fixed

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
DuDu and his two cousins have settled in nicely.
It sure seems like it's been a very long time already. But it's more like just 6 weeks!
Julio. My resident male is still unhappy about his smaller peice of property. But I'll make it up to him later.
After DuDu (and friends) leave, maybe I'll just take down the inner walls of the enclosure and give him the extra 60 or so square feet. And the partitioned off area of his original enclosure. Currently occupied by the CHERRYHEAD female.
Its a mess out there. And those torts can sure eat a lot.
I'll keep posting here every now and then and we'll see what happens in November. When the 6 months are up.
I've still got my aquaculture projects going on.
I have very little extra space.
You can call it a mess all you want but I think it's adorable 😊

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Now that I'm working again FULL TIME. My back is hurting like it did years ago.
When I'm home, I just want to rest.
These extra tortoises are already a pretty big literal pain.
I'd forgotten why I have just one tortoise
Can you do just part time? And still accomplish what you need? It doesn't hurt to try and get out there but it does if you are overdoing it.🤗 maybe it's not the extra tortoises. It's all of it too quickly.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Now that I'm working again FULL TIME. My back is hurting like it did years ago.
When I'm home, I just want to rest.
These extra tortoises are already a pretty big literal pain.
I'd forgotten why I have just one tortoise
I feel your pain. My enclosure sits atop a hill with stairs to get up there. Not so much a chore in the summer since my tort is on autopilot and can come out and graze at will. Winter on the other hand is when I have more of a problem, especially with severe arthritis in both knees. Ah the joys of torting. lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you do just part time? And still accomplish what you need? It doesn't hurt to try and get out there but it does if you are overdoing it.🤗 maybe it's not the extra tortoises. It's all of it too quickly.
No.
Full time is part of my 2 part plan to get back into my old department.
It was a one part plan. Until I read the part in my new union contract that says if you accept a position within the school board, you must remain in that position for one full calendar year before you can apply for other positions.
With my pension and this position I'm making a little more than I did as a mechanic previously. But the work is at least 3 times harder.
Before, I had an engine or a transmission. A stool. And a toolbox. All 5 feet apart.
Today my Smartwatch says I walked 320% of my goal.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We don't really have a winter like most of the world does.
But "cold" weather makes my aches feel GREAT. Like a deep workout kind of ache. And not these super sharp pains
I absolutely hated the winters in Florida. They were the worst. The cold is bone chilling. I had to wear my long underwear there and then I got too hot and had to get them off. You have to prepare for the cold and the heat. It's probably easier to shed layers instead of what I did.